Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Check Engine - Oxygen Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2000, 10:03 AM
Iain Mac
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've not long been a Scoob owner, a '98 5dr Uk turbo. After around 2 weeks of ownership :-( it lit the Check engine lamp. A "local" Dealer has diagnosed the warning as the Oxygen Sensor, currently waiting for the part. So what does the sensor detect ? overrich mixture? Ps the alarm is cleared by stopping the engine , waiting a few secs then restarting, though strangely it tends to re-occur at light/moderate loadings uphill around 70ish.
PS I dont seem to have the piston slap problem but from what I've read is it a forgone conclusion? motor has 24K miles.

Cheers Iain Mac
Old 02 January 2001, 02:34 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Iain.
The oxygen sensor is also known as the Lambda sensor, and is found at the top end of the downpipe. I believe it measures the air-fuel ratio and sends a signal to the ecu to adjust the fuelling. I have a MY98 with 70,000 miles on the clock, and mine is apparently on the way out, though I don't have any warning lights as yet.
Piston Slap is not a forgone conclusion, but as you approach the end of you warranty I would would do all I can to hear it!!!!

Stef.
Old 02 January 2001, 07:57 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Question

This may sound like a stupid question, but what should I listen for when trying to detect piston slap?

AndrewC...
Old 02 January 2001, 08:19 PM
SimonM
Scooby Regular

Andy,

I wondered this a while ago, but as mine has recently developed it, I can assure you that if you have got it, you will know about it.

My car is at the dealers tommorow, with suspected piston slap, knackered whining gearbox, and a really bad misfire when cold. I thought these cars were supposed to be reliable

I still have 4 months of warranty left though, so I thought I'd get it all sorted

SimonM

[This message has been edited by SimonM (edited 02 January 2001).]
Old 03 January 2001, 09:09 AM
Iain Mac
Scooby Newbie

I forgot to say my dealer said the oxygen sensor was picking up "stray RF" radio signals due to poor shielding design and there's a modified part available. I've since checked mine out and the rubber boot had come adrift by some 2/3 cms from the sensor, reseating the boot has sofar stopped the check engine alert from reappearing and it was fairly regular before that.