Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Full exhaust system WITH cats - alternatives to catted PE T75 centre section?

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2000, 10:19 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Interested in full replacement before chipping - i.e. DP/mid/back box. Want something as quiet as possible (really) and retaining legal emissions (no faffing at MOT time or bent testers or worries with roadside checks) - i.e. need DP cat I thought. Looking on PE website looks like you can have a cat in your midsection and no cat in your downpipe and achieve legality with apparently good performance. Anyone know other alternative catted midsections (PE a bit pricey for a midsection £429!) or catted downpipes? I am hoping that at least some of the benefit of a new system will be in better gas flow over stock as well as the gains achieved by removing the cat. Am I right in thinking that the DP really needs to be changed to achieve any reasonable performance increase and that back box and midsection changes are relatively insignificant? Is it worth just changing the DP or will this expose the flow limits of the stock midsection and BB? If I want to retain a catted system, for the performance increase and cost am I better off just going for induction kit and chip and leaving the whole exhaust system stock. My priorities are perforance:cost whilst keeping quiet and legal for emissions. Whaddya think?
Old 30 December 2000, 11:17 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't want much, then! Legal noise and emmissions, plus extra power? I think a PPP is the closest you'll get, but costs £2k. Or maybe a Link ECU (from BR Developments) and ScoobySport back-box would do the job. More hassle, but as good or maybe better; certainly cheaper.

Hoppy
Old 31 December 2000, 01:21 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John,

I had exactly the same requirements as you - quiet and with a cat for MOTs.

As well as Prodrive, both MRT