Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Scoobysport BB

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2000, 01:31 PM
Clever Trevor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been trying to get a second hand one for ages but given in and ordered new one -arriving tommorrow....
Not having second thoughts, but anyone know what diameter the rear pipe is?
My wife is a trifle concerned about increase in noise (at least it should drow her out though!) so is it noticable much from inside the cabin?
Oh yea, one last thing - Will it give any increase in power -mine is a MY97 with I think 208hp ?

cheers CT
Old 10 December 2000, 01:55 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Trevor,
don't worry about extra noise in the cabin,
I put a Scoobysport BB on about a month ago and er, forgot to tell my lovely wife (she couldn't see the point in buying a new exhaust when the one we had was only 5 months old! women eh )
Anyway the thing is she hasn't noticed yet despite driving several hundred miles!!
To my ears it is a vast improvement (althogh slightly quieter than I imagined it would be)
and sounds great in our local multi-storey with the windows down.
The tailpipe is just over 3 inches from memory and looks meaty without being too Max Power.
As for power increase, the turbo does seem to pick up a bit quicker but not a vast difference.
Cheers,
Pete
Old 10 December 2000, 02:37 PM
Clever Trevor
Scooby Regular

Cheers Pete - just what I wanted to hear!

I did think about not telling the wife, but she would probably notice that instead of the twin tail pipes a rather large single one had appeared!
Old 10 December 2000, 04:00 PM
joni
Scooby Regular

Yup,I echo that.Only slightly more noticable at idle. Higher up the rev range you have to listen, however because you are listening for it, you can hear it..... if you know what I mean. Nicely subtle sounds and looks.
Old 10 December 2000, 04:22 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Cool

Trevor,

got a SS box on MY99 UK, I think it sounds far better - definitely more growling!!

Single pipe looks much better than twin as well, I agree I think it's 3" - cleaning the pipe with chrome cleaner keeps it nice and shiny!

As far as the noticeable increase is sound, my neighbour asked me recently why I changed it just to make it louder!

Definitely makes the turbo spin earlier, mine's putting out 229bhp, but I didn't have it dyno'd before the change, so can't speak about increase.

Only trouble is, once you start changing exhaust bits you want to change DP and mid.

Matt

[This message has been edited by Matt Churchill (edited 10 December 2000).]
Old 12 December 2000, 06:28 PM
Pbone
Scooby Regular

Since having my SS backbox (my98) put on, the devil inside me leaps out and floors the accelerator, usually while going through a sleepy little village. Therefore having the box on is definatly a good purchase. I,m still running with standard downpipe and cat(not for much longer), and I'm getting pops and bangs.Throttle response is improved with fitting induction kit + de-cat.