PPP Fitted!

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2000, 06:57 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All

Just fitted all bar the exhaust bits of a PPP to a my00. Very impressed

Question though; It's only holding 10% more boost (and peaking about 20%) - and the performance increase feels more than this.

Anyone know if this is down to the new map, or the improved flow through the intercooler hosing? I was surprised at how restrictive looking the OE kit is - no wonder Subaru hide it!

I'm going to be fitting the centre section tonight and then the backbox after I've had the suspension done/car inspected (you listening Mike?!) - can I expect a further increase with the exhaust bits? Hope so

Oh, I also removed the resonator at the same time - there's *much* more noise than when I did the same to a my99....but then I've got a bit more boost now.

Tschüss
Richard
Old 13 November 2000, 09:23 AM
ric
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hey Richard!!!

WOW, you bought the very expensive performance package.......but I think the mid-section and back box aren't allowed here in Switzerland.

Me, I am still waiting for an offer from Mikes Dad for my suspension mod.

Why don't you fit a Remus back box, mid-section with sportscatalyst, downpipe??????
Sounds awesome and goes like HELL!!!

You are right: The OEM intercooling hoses are just Sh******. Did you fit the hoses yourself??????

I should remove my resonator once....some tips???? (I will buy the MRT cold air duct for about 130Fr.)

greetings
ric "ugly" MY98 driver....hehehe.....but soon the fastest......
Old 13 November 2000, 10:43 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Hi Ric

Yeah, yeah - fastest or quickest...and when?! Did you fit the 4 pots yet?

PPP is great, and not so expensive either Just need to remove the IC to get to the hosing. Took me around 2 hours to do the ecu, IC hosing and remove resonator/add blanking (whoever say's it takes 2 minutes to swap ecu's obviously has no interior trim!). Was it you who said Samco do a kit? Is it with a Y junction?

Tips for removing the resonator? Just do it! There's instructions on another recent post - I'd only add to make up a blanking plate to fit between engine bay and inner wing while it's all apart...and make sure your splash guards are water tight! Main deal for me with the cold air pipe is whether it's a cold "air & water" pipe....
Old 13 November 2000, 10:58 AM
ric
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hello again!

I asked Mike to make me an offer for fitting the brakes and the suspension. So now I am still destroying my old 2potters :-((

Yes, Samco do a kit: Y-pipe from turbo to intercooler and other intercooler pipes also.
What pipes did you change???

cold air duct: no problem, as long as youre using a K&N panel filter, as water cannot pass this filter! I had a 57i kit for about 4 months in the winter and has no problems and believe me, the filter was wet sometimes!!!!!!!! Why don't you order with me???

What about your exhaust???

Is it true, the PPP cost 5000Fr. ????? WOWOWOWOW

ric
Old 13 November 2000, 11:33 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

The PPP just comes with the turbo to ic pipes and includes a cast Y piece (the ic has 2 inputs).

Why not fit the brakes yourself - it's quite straightforward (my first set of TarOx's warped!). I'll pass on the induction pipe for now....but I'm interested in seeing it of course!

I think I recall Mike saying your car seemed to handle differently on lh and rh corners? If that's the case (& given the history of the car), I'd get this sorted before upgrading anything else.

Dunno' with the exhaust yet (give me a chance, I've modified 2 cars in the time it's taking you to do yours - ha ha!) - I'll try the mid-section, but ultimately want to get a different downpipe so will probably end up with a sport mid-cat of some description. Depends with the backbox - if the PPP item is too loud then it's back to the STi one, I guess

I'm in no rush though

You get the PPP direct from Prodrive at their retail price - less than SFr3.5k (+ local tax - if you must) delivered..... within 4 days too! Excellent service - very refreshing! A little less ultimate output than the Sportec conversion - but I guess Mike and I will investigate the real-world performance differences at some point

Richard

Old 13 November 2000, 05:08 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Richard

I'm just waiting for our dyno shootout!!! But more important is the real world contest. Unfortunately my car is waiting for some bits But it's still a long way to spring. On the other hand I can save my license till my 2 year ban is over;D

Waiting for your call

Cheers
Mike
Old 13 November 2000, 06:57 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Richard.
Glad to see you like the PPP ecu as well!
I also noticed a very small increase in boost that didn't seem to match the increase in performance, but have been assured it's down to the excellent mapping by the Prodrive bods. The difference it made to my car was staggering, especially low-down.
I'm sure you will notice a further difference when you add the other bits as well.

Stef.
Old 13 November 2000, 07:24 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

I doubt the back box and centre will add much more. I swapped mine for SS and Magnex and got noticeably more , Are you not allowed to have a decatt DP over there?

The piping is also there as a safegaurd for the higher boost pressures that the PPP runs, pipes can burst ya know. Wonder how many Link/Unichip/PE owners are running even higher boost with the std pipes?

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 13 November 2000).]
Old 14 November 2000, 01:45 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Hi All

Ha-ha Mike - roll on spring...never know what I might have bought by then.....

Having driven mine a bit more now (still on OE exhaust) I notice that there's power from 2k rpm, and by 3k everything goes nuts!

The peak boost seems to be dual-stage though - initial of 1.3kg/cm, quickly dropping to 1.2 and then down to 1.1 held.

I'm hoping that the exhaust bits will give a bit more low down torque - certainly the centre, if not the backbox. Centre goes on tomorrow.

For sure, the hosing under the intercooler is garbage - I'll take a digi photo of it over the weekend for all to see. If you're running a modified car with this bit of tosh, I'm sure there's gains to be had by swapping it

The problem here in Switzerland is that every modification made to the car can only use bits certified for use here. So, when I get brakes/suspension done next week the car then has to go to the local authorities to be certified OK...and the *registration* document for the car is updated with the bits!

Obviously, decats are a no, no! If caught they probably throw you in jail and crush the car...... Mind you, a few do it - especially on the Porsches. For that reason I'll leave one cat in the system....if only to stop *flames out the back*. This wouldn't go down too well in Der Schweiz!!!

See-Ya!
Richard
Old 14 November 2000, 03:56 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Ran silly boost whilst Hillclimbing in a UK car...peaking somewhere over 25 PSI. Boost gauge only went to 25 PSI.

Hoses were OK...bolts which held IC down broke and blew IC off

Piston broke shortly after !

Someone worked out on a previous thread that it would have been running 160 PSI through the Manifold .....**OUCH**

Mark
Old 14 November 2000, 07:18 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dear mate

save your comments till spring!!!!!!! Unfortunately it seems that IT contractors just earn enough money to put a decent banker down
Concerning the flames you know me I wouldn't bother but the coppers certainly would!
Just spoke to my dad about the IC hosing. If he had enough time he would do something for me in complet metal like the WRC has. Unfortunately there are certain customers who need a good suspension

See ya soon

Cheers
Mike
Old 16 November 2000, 06:27 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Fitted the mid-section as well last night. No major increase in noise inside the car and outside it's a bit more "throbby" (for want of a better word!).

But low down pulling power is much better - my first standing start scared me Can't wait to try the backbox as well now.

Hey Mike - I'm sure your post should read "there are certain *paying* customers" - lol!

IMHO the main design problem with the intercooler hosing is the restriction (by the highly technical method of looking at it!), rather than strength....which would appear OK from Blackscooby's report!