Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

type ra 5th injector

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2000, 09:33 PM
waynelivesey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Besides the usual short gearing and the stripped out interior, what are the tech differences between the type ra wrx engine etc and the standard wrx as on my type ra (my94) i have noticed a fifth injector located in the centre of the inlet manifold.On all other scoobys i have looked at the injector is not apparent (inc STI type R V3 ).
Old 12 November 2000, 05:51 PM
ransj
Scooby Regular

Your Ra engine may have bene modified - I don't think my engine has the extra injector, I'll have a look tomorrow.

Simon
Old 12 November 2000, 06:56 PM
waynelivesey
Scooby Regular

The injector looks like factory fit.On my type ra it is located directly in the middle of the inlet manifold(top, just downstream of the throttle valve),There are three or four wires connecting it directly into the factory loom and a factory fit fuel feed pipe in steel.All other engines i have looked at (my94-97) have that particular part of the inlet manifold machined flat as ready to except the injector but nothing is fitted!

cheers
wayne

Old 12 November 2000, 09:00 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Hi

WRX RA ive driven a MY94 or 95 cant remember did have a fifth injector i was told this is standard.

Simon
Old 12 November 2000, 09:36 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Smile

Mr Cookie,

I think you may be going stale. I didn't understand your last post one bit.

P.
Old 12 November 2000, 09:50 PM
waynelivesey
Scooby Regular

Is it to prevent detonation under extreme driving? I also believe the type ra has a stonger `closed deck` block (whatever that means!)
Old 12 November 2000, 10:17 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sith

Just checked my Best before and your quite right im well past it . Meant it to read like this the RA i drove a little while ago had a fifth injector and i was told buy dealer this is standard on them

Si who think that now makes sense
Old 13 November 2000, 07:32 PM
ransj
Scooby Regular

I've just had a look at my car and it does have the 5th injector.

Here is a quick picture:

Simon

[This message has been edited by ransj (edited 13 November 2000).]
Old 13 November 2000, 08:39 PM
waynelivesey
Scooby Regular

As the RA is the base for group N rallying and is exported from japan to various countries for this purpose are the injectors purpose to allow different qualitys of fuel to be used without causing detonation (i.e In some parts of europe it can be as low as 91RON ) Can any of you experts out there cast any light?!
Old 13 November 2000, 10:23 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

Hi all!

The older RA cars were fitted a lot of goodies, and one of them was the extra injector. The standard fuel injectors are 380cc/min units and it's not possible to extract more than about 300BHP from the car without either increasing fule pressure or fitting larger injectors.

Raising fuel pressure is awkward (been there, done that, upsets the fuel pump!) and fitting larger injectors was (IIRC) not an option at the time which meant fitting another injector to provide background fuelling during heavy use. Quite useful for Group N use :-)

The RA engines of that era were all closed deck blocks, as were all STi engines, and so should all STi II engines be. After that it gets complicated. These were EJ20G blocks and produced in both open and closed deck versions for homologation purposes. For MY97 the EJ20K block was use, and to the best of my knowledge, there is no closed deck version of the EJ20K. To date, the EJ20G closed deck block (as used in the RA) is the strongest EJ20 block Subaru have ever made, capable of holding 400BHP without any further modifications to the block; Group A Impreza rally cars were producing this before the restrictor size hampered outputs much over 300 BHP...

Hope this helps,

Pat.
Old 13 November 2000, 10:57 PM
waynelivesey
Scooby Regular

Cheers! Does this mean that the internals are also stronger i.e forged pistons steel crank etc.Ive converted the gearing of my type ra to full uk turbo spec incl rear diff and recon box (new synchros etc)giving it a more user friendly set of ratois.The car is still quick,but being a stronger block + fifth injector does this mean i can mod the ecu `safely` to give more power?Any suggestions?What exactly does closed deck and open deck mean?
THANKS
Wayne