Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

EGT or AFC.......

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2000, 09:07 AM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which is of more use, an exhaust gas temp gauge or an air/fuel meter??

Any sugestions much appreciated.

Richie
Old 29 October 2000, 09:54 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Richie,

Hmmm, that's a hard one. I wouldn't be without either.

If you have a standard ECU, I'd go for the AFR.

BUT remember, AFR meters tend to show lean when the Lambda sensor gets very hot, so an EGT is more reliable on the track. My AFR often shows SO lean on the track, that if it wasn't for the EGT, I'd be increasing the fuelling by several %.

Gauges are a pain.....because there are so many things you end up wanting to monitor, then you always question the info you're getting, and finally you end up with a car looking like a flight deck !!!!.

Mark.

Old 29 October 2000, 01:01 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

I intend to get a Unichip fitted soon BTW, but doubt Ill be doing many trackdays. I like the look of that AFC Stef runs but cant make my mind up........

Regards
Richie
Old 29 October 2000, 04:24 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Richie,

If you're going for a remappable ecu, I would strongly recommend both, plus a Knock Link.

And, if you go for the Unichip option, I'd seriously consider opting for "real" boost control. Using restrictors is very unreliable, inconsistant, and highly likely to suffer from overboost (lots) under certain conditions.

Mark.
Old 29 October 2000, 04:28 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Oakey doakey

What do you mean by Real boost control??

Its gonna have to be one or the other I reckon as that would need 5 gauges and a knocklink. If it had to be one, which would it be???

Richie
Old 29 October 2000, 07:47 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Richie,

By "real boost control", I mean controlled by either the ecu, or an independent electronic boost controller.

I suggest this, because as an example, a Unichipped UK car relying on a restrictor, was hitting 20psi at Brands on Fri'. He had no means of adjusting this, bar removing the restictor all together, and completely slugging the boost. He could carry a selection of restrictors with him, so that he had one for each of the conditions he might encounter......I think not !!!!!.

The other problem with restrictors controlling the boost, is that small restrictors allow the boost to rise very quickly, but are also prone to overboost. Larger restrictors will prevent overboost, but also slug the boost profile.

EBC (either ecu, or a good independent)will allow boost to rise as quickly as both the exhaust gas, and turbo flow map will allow, but control overboost (if set up correctly).

Gauges: Space can be saved, as suggested in the other post (Knock/Lambda Link).

SPA do some very good twin gauges. There are a combination of pressure/temp, and cover most things. They also have "peak" recall, programmable warning lights, and "outputs" that can run buzzers, etc', or in my case, my water spray (I've set the intercooler temp warning to switch it on) but this could be done via the boost warning output. Same goes for water injection, which could also be switched by an EGT output!!!!!!!!. I luv em :-))).

Decide on what you want in the car, and then the best way of fitting them. A 3 gauge Subaru pod is about £60, but as the front needs to be made up, two gauges could be fitted initially, and later changed to 3. Or you could fit two gauges, and the led's from the Knock Link, etc'. It goes on......

Mark.
Old 29 October 2000, 08:02 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mark

Im obviously barking up the right tree cos Ive just got a Subaru pod and getting Oil P, Oil T, Boost and a-n-other. The reason Im sticking to 4 is Ive only got enough space for 3 in Subaru Pod and 1 in PE pod. Ill also be doing Knocklink, probably in dash ala Mike T.

Also Boost controller on the way (cheers Pete, Ill be careful...promise) Just mailed Powerstation re getting my car unichipped so should be transforming the car in the next few weeks.

Thanks again Mark

Rich

[This message has been edited by RichieC (edited 29 October 2000).]
Old 29 October 2000, 09:22 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Rich,

The Unichip is also available with a boost controller that will control the boost for you through mapping the main Unichip ECU. Talk to PS about this before you go buying stuff.

Cheers

Ian
Old 29 October 2000, 11:42 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Its OK Ian, the boost controller has only cost me the postage

Apparently the Unichip bit is only a module which lets you use a Laptop (ala SerialLink) and as I havent got one and couldnt be a**ed using it to alter the boost, Ill go EBC.

Cheers again

Rich