RichS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi all,

Car - MY00 UK turbo
Mileage - 7064
Mods - SS backbox only

Problem - "tappety" sound on idle and at low revs.
From the cockpit, when driving, it sounds like a distant helicopter!

This seems to occur when cold AND hot.

I was worried it might be piston slap, but searches (on this BBS) reveal that it appears only to be a problem on MY97/98 cars.

Car booked in for service next week, so I'll ask the dealer what they think.

Any thoughts / advice?

Rich

[This message has been edited by RichS (edited 04 October 2000).]
Old 04 October 2000, 04:03 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Car - MY00 UK turbo
Mileage - 5600

I too have this Tappety sound at idle although I think it is more noticible when the engine is hot. My guess is that this noise is simply the valve gear and not piston slap or anything nasty. I have to admit I too was worried when I first noticed it so it is nice that I am not the only paranoid person out there!!

Either way I will be interested to hear what your dealer says.

Old 04 October 2000, 04:49 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I occasionally hear this, and thought that it may be the fuel injectors? Confused now. Please update the thread when you find out.

Cheers!
Old 04 October 2000, 06:59 PM
THORPEM
Scooby Regular

I TOO HAVE A TICKING / KNOCKING SOUND AT LOW REVS. I have been told this is the wastegate solinoid. The dealer is looking at it on Monday. I sounds like a clicking/ticking from under the bonnet but more like a knocking noise in the cabin
Old 05 October 2000, 08:59 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

THORPEM

I'd be interested in the results of your dealer checkup.

My car doesn't go in until next Thurday (12.10.00)

If you'd be kind enough to re-post after yours has been in I be very grateful.

Rich
Old 05 October 2000, 03:22 PM
Carl Harvey
Scooby Regular

MY99
15000 miles

Mines in for a service soon and they want to adjust the tappets as they are noisy and the dealer said it had been a common problem.
Old 05 October 2000, 10:42 PM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

Question

Mine has a host of tappety noises when cold but most go when the oil has circulated around the donk. Its due for a service so I'll have the tappets adjustested no doubt. There is one remaining ticking noise and this is coming from the wategate solenoid.

Does anyone know if this is a bad thing?????

[This message has been edited by Gerg2 (edited 05 October 2000).]

Trending Topics

Old 06 October 2000, 08:38 AM
jwhitton
Scooby Regular

MY00 UK spec - no such noise.

It is unlikely the waste gate actuator will make a noise when ticking over.

You can listen to the boost control solenoid with the bonnet up. (Between the air filter box and bulk head on LHS looking from front of car).

Where does the sound come from if the bonnet is lifted?

The only tickety-boo I hear is the cats and heat sheilds cooling down after a run. Obviously no noise when cold on this.

Are Scooby tappets adjustable or hydraulic like 90% of all other new cars?

johnfelstead - please enlighten me!

jon
Old 07 October 2000, 12:36 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Red face

.......um dealer says there's no problem.
Just SS backbox enhancing boxer sound...

hmmm maybe I was being paranoid...

Rich
Old 07 October 2000, 09:36 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Noise has gotten progressively worse since my last post.

Bit worried that it's serious.

Taking scoob to the dealer this morning...

Rich
Old 07 October 2000, 04:51 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Rich,

I wouldn't have thought that the SS BB would amplify the 'tappety' noise. It would amplify the boom boom pop noise.

Try a differen't dealer if you have one.

If I'm talking nonsense I will be corrected.

P.
Old 08 October 2000, 11:35 AM
SCOTTY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I have a loud ticking with my00 turbo too. It is when my engine is warm and is more noticable when I am putting it away in the garage on a night. It's a loud ticking which goes up and down in volume almost like a wave motion. I don't know what it is and I have lost faith with Scooby dealers who fob you off. My car came from Holland in march and has already had a new turbo fitted after 1000 miles. It was faulty from new. Plus a few more problems now.
Old 08 October 2000, 08:40 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Smile

scotty

that ticking is just heat sheilds etc, just think how hot it all gets under the bonnet. Let the car idle for 1min (minimum) after hard driving. My car ticks , especially in a garage where the sounds are amplified.

simon
Old 08 October 2000, 08:47 PM
SCOTTY
Scooby Regular

It is audible above the heat shields cooling down. It is from the engine itself.
Old 09 October 2000, 06:50 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

I've got an MY98 WRX (42000 miles )and it appears to be suffering from piston slap (knocking when cold, goes away when when hot). Now, can anyone tell me the definitive answer to this question? - How serious is piston slap? Will my engine explode, implode, melt, die etc. or will it just continue with no other simptoms other than the cold knocking noise. It's been doing it for at least 5000 miles, but probably longer without me really noticing until I read about it - I've only had the car since feb, 9000 miles ago). It's not burning any oil and I haven't needed to top up once, before or after my recent service. How worried should I be? How much to fix it? Is it worth it? etc. etc.
Thanks for any help.
Old 10 October 2000, 12:00 AM
Ian Coulter
Scooby Regular

Angry

Rich (We spoke at the recent Borders Meet (DBM 99 with gold wheels) & Others,

I too have experienced a strange engine noise (MY99, 27k miles) that I first noticed on a run accross to Oban and Ardrishaig last week. However, it has got progressively worse over the weekend to the extent that it is there a lot of the time now.

When I tried to explain it to the Service guy at Town & Country he thought it might be "the dreaded piston slap". However, after reading all the posts that searching for "piston slap" produced I am sure that the problem is NOT "piston slap". It is a "higher", more frequent sound (although still related to engine revs) and sounds to me much more like some sort of cam shaft, tappet or valve problem.

It does NOT seem to happen at idle or when blipping the throttle. It is only present when accelerating under load and is most obvoius in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Anyway, its going in to T&C for a diagnosis at 2pm this afternoon. I'll report back later.

In addition to this, I noticed a rhythmic pulsing through the brake pedal around town yesterday. I initially thought that this felt like the ABS kicking in all the time.

However, on further analysis, the speed of the pulse seems to vary with the speed of the car, so I now think that I am probably suffering from warped disks! Any thoughts on this diagnosis, or why it should only suddenly become noticeable? Another thing for T&C to have a look at!

Any helpful responses would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Ian
Old 10 October 2000, 06:29 PM
Ian Coulter
Scooby Regular

Red face

Update : -

Successful visit to Town & Country this afternoon, although it proved my engine diagnostic skills leave something to be desired!

The strange "tappety" noise was initially thought to be "pinking" but was eventually tracked down to one of the most inaccessable bits of heat shield (down below air filer box) that had become partially detached and was resonating between the exhaust and the engine bay.

This bit of heat shield has now been completely detached and removed altogether which seems to have solved the problem. Hopefully nothing will suffer from overheating as a consequence.

The suspect brake disks were showing the typical small cracks but the offside one also had one very large crack running out along the whole radius of the poished part of the disk. That would certainly explain why the pulsing through the brake pedal had appeared so suddenly, on a very wet day!

Anyway, Town & Country had both disks and standard pads in stock and these were fitted in short order. The disks were covered by warranty. The pads were charged at £97.53 - 10% SIDC discount + VAT = £103.14 which seemed quite expensive just for front pads (albeit Subaru ones) but I was very pleased to have the problems diagnosed and solved so quickly! I was also delighted that the strange noise problem wasn't anything more serious or engine-related.

Compliments to the Service guys at Town & Country in Perth. They will have it back soon for the 30k service!

Regards,

Ian (much relieved, although I'll have to bed the new disks & pads in carefully!)
Old 10 October 2000, 07:16 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Question

deleted as problem cured, i was gonna say either brake pipe vibration or heat shield loose

Sunil

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 10 October 2000).]