Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Exhaust gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2000, 06:59 PM
Eric Chadwick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I already have a Scoobysport back box fitted and now have a scoobysport downpipe and magnex centre section to fit to my sti V.

The local garage that is doing the fitting was worried that the gaskets would be damaged removing the original system leaving me with a blowing exhaust.

Does the downpipe need a gasket for its join with the turbo ? Does the SS downpipe need a different one to standard ? Will the original one be in good condition when the system is taken apart or is it likely to split ?

I have a strange round thing (?) that looks like it goes between the back box and centre section and a small metal gasket for centre to downpipe, but nothing for downpipe to turbo.

Is the local garage being a bit paranoid ?

It sounds like few people are running with standard exhausts so could someone let me know whether they had any problems fitting theirs.

Cheers,

Eric.
Old 16 August 2000, 10:11 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Hi there,

There is a gasket between the turbo and DP... It is a crush one... ideally you should fit another... but you can reuse them... there isnt much (read any) pressure there...

The round thing is the gasket that goes between the DP and centre section.. it allows movement.. that can be re-used.

The SS DP uses the stock gasket..

J.
Old 17 August 2000, 12:14 AM
Eric Chadwick
Scooby Regular

Cheers folks,

As it happens I can't get a gasket until monday - out of stock. My car is booked in tomorrow afternoon so the garage are going to have another look at it and fit my magnex centre section. The general consensus from the suppliers seems to be that the DP/turbo gaskets rarely need replacing on recent cars (mine is a 99 sti) so I might be ok. Fingers crossed and hope for some tailpipe flameouts
Old 17 August 2000, 06:52 AM
ric
Scooby Regular

When fitting a downpipe my dealer also changed the gasket from turbo to downpipe. You should buy a new gasket for safety, its not expensive!
ric