Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Anti Lag on a roadcar??

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2000, 09:33 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive heard it rumoured that a few BBS members run ALS, but I'm interested whether anyone encounters running woes with said system.

Specifically on the Impreza how's it achieved, is it simply a switchable mod in the ECU or is it necessary to monkey around with the engine internals ie throttle body in the turbo inlet as in the case on a Cosworth.

Ive heard about probs with fuel washing past into the bottom end... .

So whats the low down??

Cheers for any info.....surely the ULTIMATE mod.

Rich

[This message has been edited by RichieC (edited 10 August 2000).]
Old 10 August 2000, 10:11 PM
Big Bear
Scooby Regular

Wink

I`ve not long had a MoTeC ECU fitted to my car with anti-lag and launch control , I`ve not had any problems with it so far . To be perfectly honest the only good thing it is good for is getting tail gaters off your **** , they soon move when the flames start firing out the back . Plus it also good for scaring the **** out of little kids and granny`s
There were no mechanical mods to my car to get the A/L to work . I`ve no idea if the petrol is getting past the pistons so can`t comment on that . All I know is that used too much then it will screw up the turbo quicker due to the huge amount of heat that it generates .
Also I have to get a new exhaust as the guts seem to be coming out of mine , co-incidence of having the A/L , who knows .
Cheers Dave
Old 10 August 2000, 10:15 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

How much noisier has it made the car, does it crackle and bang all the time or just when you lift off.

How much was the MoTec?? and who fitted/set it up for you.

A question to other members, is it possible to use ALS without a MoTec ECU or is available on the PossumLink??
Cheers again Dave

Rich

PS Can it be made switchable from inside the car on a Scooby??

[This message has been edited by RichieC (edited 10 August 2000).]
Old 11 August 2000, 12:45 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

What about the BOV/Dump valve ?

Or the vac to the master cylinder ?

J.
Old 11 August 2000, 01:59 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Antilag is just a toy.

ALS is highly likely to be illegal for road use, but I don't expect your average plod to recognise it... besides, you could just say you suspect a spark plug's gone because it missfires occasionally, this could get you a VDR rather than a charge.

There are rally versions of the link that include ALS.

The Motec system works using a randomised spark cut to prevent bore wash... where the major problem would be the fuel washing the lubricative oil of the bore and leading to increased wear rate/damage to the cylinder wall.

ALS, if used often, will destroy turbos, exhaust manifolds and cats.

Also, when it is working properly, the als system makes for razor sharp throttle response that is A)not kind for the transmission and B)not easy to drive in many circumstances, especially bumpy road surfaces where the bumps affect your throttle control, however slightly.

On the whole, I would not recommend ALS for the road... you can get the "cool" flames etc by decatting and then mapping some fuel into the overrun, so at just off throttle, low load and medium to high revs you should get lots of nice little flames from you tailpipe without seriously damaging yourself or your car.

J.

My anti-lag works better when I blank off the dump-valve fittings... but you still get some air through the ISCV even with a leaky bailey BOV fitted. I will be switching to a Forge recirc shortly. If I considered ALS to be useful enough to justify it, I would look into getting the ISCV and I/C to Throttlebody hose modified ala Prodrive anti-lag setup...

Moray
Old 11 August 2000, 08:06 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

To make it really effective, you use a "Gonzo" pipe which feeds pressurised air from the short pipe between inlet manifold and intercooler... into an enlarged idle speed control valve. Sequential firing and masses of ignition retard will light it up and the car then drives like a non turbo, despite the massive VF22 you are using.

Don't expect anything to last too long.

Engine rebuilds/turbo replacements are part of cost of running a rally car.