Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Engine and oil on trackday.

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2000, 10:43 AM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am thinking of taking my almost standard MY96 on track. I have read stories of engines developing problems after hard work on track. General consensus seems that the sump and oil levels are insufficent for the car. If I don't get the oil cooler kit from PE, am I asking for trouble with the big end going south.
I hope I have made sense.
Thanks in advance,

P.
Old 09 August 2000, 02:05 PM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

It all depends how hard you drive it. If you're going to be at the limit (rev-limiting etc) all the way, and how long you'll be out on the track for at a time. I was at the Abingdon trackday a few weeks back, with my basically standard MY00 car. I was changing up at about 6-6500 rpm and doing about 5 hot laps, then a cooler lap, then about 5 again, and then that was our 15-minute session complete. Did 6 sessions in the day though! Car was perfectly fine afterwards, apart from smoke lightly smoking brakes after the final session

It seems the cars that go bang (normally 3rd piston) tend to go because of oil starvation or similar, and almost always at very high revs or while being driven very hard, so make of that what you will.

Richard
Old 09 August 2000, 06:02 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Make sure your oil is topped up comletely I guess - e.g more than 4.5 litres - they take 4.8 litres (NOT 4.5 LITRES!)

I drove my car very hard for 2500 around France and had no problems - apart from paint problems on the bonnet - I'll get it professionally buffed up - I think intense heat over a 10 hiur stretch scorched the paint work?
Old 09 August 2000, 07:14 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Sith,

Fitting an oil cooler will have NO effect on the level of oil in the sump, it's there purely to cool the oil.

I would suggest removing the engine under tray, for any hard driven Scooby, and particually for track days. It has been found to greatly increase both engine, and oil temps.

Mark.
Old 10 August 2000, 10:36 AM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replys, when I go I will make sure it is properly topped up. I am paranoid about blowing the engine

I've only had the car about a month and so am still finding out about it mechanically etc, how easy is it to remove the under tray? and are there any good sites or books on the cars engine and Turbo?

Cheers.