Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Blue smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2000, 09:45 AM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Any help with this would be great as two Subaru dealerships have told me nothing is wrong.

At approx. 11000 miles I started getting a rattle from the engine, I took it to a dealer. The rattle vanished on the way there after about 100 miles. I had the same thing happen over the last week, car booked in, rattle vanished day before. My car has always done some strange things, sudden lose of power when going hard around roundabouts, lack of boost in second gear. It also seems to use alot of oil. I don’t do track days.
If I am stuck in traffic for long periods i.e. 30+ minutes the exhaust smoke becomes very blue.
Can anyone shed a little light?

Thanks for any help, I know it could be nothing.
Old 10 August 2000, 11:18 AM
adyhicut
Scooby Senior

Cool

Hi

When you say it smokes does it really really smoke as in thick blue/white clouds after sitting in traffic?

If so it might have the same problem my car had. My local garage diagnosed it as being the turbo but Subaru uk wouldn't agree as "..we have never had a turbo go and it can't be that.". It took Subaru 15 months of replacing gaskets, and valve seals with little effect to finaly realise it needed a new turbo. Once fitted no smoking problems!

Hope this helps a little.

Ady

Old 10 August 2000, 11:59 AM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Yep, that’s the variety of smoke that I am referring to. Thanks Ady

It does not bellow out but its slowly getting worse. Is anything likely to cause the turbo to go other that hard driving? It is only 13 months old on a UK car. I do not get any smoke on cold start up in the morning.