Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

cooking in oil

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2000, 08:07 AM
phill chinn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I’ve got this friend! (of course I have?) With no turbo timer!! Who may or may not have got out of his Scooby after a motorway run, without waiting a minute or two for the turbo to cool down a bit, I (sorry my friend) wants to know what long term damage this will have, and is there any corrective treatment I (he) can take ????
Old 19 July 2000, 08:57 AM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Was your "friend" crawling around the car park for a minute or so looking for a space to park, and were you, sorry, your friend, driving at the speed limit or over? Chances are if you are driving off boost, the turbos not that hot anyway. A minute or two looking for a space in the services will have the same effect as idling to cool down, in fact driving at low revs / off boost may aid quicker cooling as you've got air flow over the turbo and rad/oil cooler.

Basically I wouldn't panic, but don't do it again

Aparantly Police scoobies regularly blow turbos as they turn them straight off after high speed chases / when its time for bacon butties.

p.s. smilie for bacon butties not blowing turbos

[This message has been edited by Paul Wilson (edited 19-07-2000).]
Old 19 July 2000, 09:20 AM
phill chinn
Scooby Regular

I'm told by my friend that HE went straight to the petrol station, and there was little time off boost, he will be purchasing a turbo timer soon, although he is very careful under normal circumstances to slow down or leave it running for a minute or two.
Thanks for the advice, but I was wondering if there is anything that can be done after the event i.e.: taking turbo off and cleaning or any additives that can remove the build up off brunt oil and stuff???
Old 19 July 2000, 06:28 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Don't think there is anything else you can do, but I could be wrong. It may be worth putting up a post in General Q's as a lot of people never look here. But I wouldn't be too worried, but then I have a Power Engineering Phase 1 on my car