Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Timing belt tension?

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2000, 07:58 PM
Stephen Cole
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I inspected the timing belt on my standard WRX over the weekend (as the car is over 3 years old, but nowhere near the normal mileage for a timing belt change) just to check on it condition.
Looked fine

Out of interest, does anyone know what the correct belt tension should be?

Taking off the rh timing belt cover (as seen from the front of the car) gives access to part of the belt.
The 'top' run of the belt, at the point where it goes behind the center cover, had approx +/-3mm deflection on it, under firm but gentle thumb pressure.
(Actually more like 2mm inwards and 4mm outwards).

This seems reasonable and normal to me, and is consistent with other DOHC engines with long timing belts (eg MKII Golf GTi 16v)

Can anyone confirm this is approx correct ?

Obviously, proper belt tensioning is probably measured at a different point and by a different technique.

Thanks
Stephen
Just interested
Looks like this will be the first vechicle I have owned where I won't be doing my own timing belt change
(both due to wanting to preserve a service history, and because access looks to tight and fiddly. And I hear its almost a two person job to ensure its alighted right)
Old 17 July 2000, 10:07 PM
John Gorman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stephen,
The belt has a self tensioning device on it. Situated to the left of the crank pully. These are sprung loaded with oil dampening and are prone to leak oil. Please check this, a new one is just shy of 100 quid but cheaper than a belt failure. Belt change intervals are 100 000 kms.
Hope this helps
Good luck..
John..