Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

very high emissions!!!!help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2003, 12:29 AM
cossielewis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi people, ive just picked my import subaru up from being imported ,as you do it went for it's sva test couple weeks ago, it failed on the emissions, i dont know the exact figuers but the co levil was around 9.0, and it failed on the idle test, since then the car has been looked at by 2 good garages that know what they are talking about, the car has had standerd exhaust fitted, and new lamba sensor, all other sensors are working fine, but still the co 9.0 hasn't changed, it was chipped up before, as it had a apexi power fc ecu, but that was taken out, standerd 1 fitted, it's got uprated fuel pumps and a fuel regulater, but the car is still running standerd fuel pressure, so it's not that,but the car is running rich, so the garage is now scratchin his head wondering whats wrong with it, is it a ecu problem???, as i need this car on the road asap,the labour charge is going up, up ,up, and it's not getting sorted, surely it can only be a few things that would cause a high co levil,

any suggestions would be very helpful,

cheers, lewis

[Edited by cossielewis - 11/25/2003 12:33:56 AM]
Old 25 November 2003, 12:38 AM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

It may not have standard injectors (ie-larger) if the pump and regulator have been changed.
Has the MAF sensor been checked (eliminated)?
What year and model?

[Edited by Delboy2 - 11/25/2003 12:42:24 AM]
Old 25 November 2003, 12:44 AM
cossielewis
Scooby Regular

the garage says the injectors are standerd, and also that the fueling would not make the co levil high, but surely if its running rich,if would effect the emissions, but theyve said everything is fine in the fueling department, (when it had a full decat, it kept popping and bagging and everytime black smoke came out from the exhaust), if that helps anyone come up with some ideas,

cheers, lewis
Old 25 November 2003, 12:47 AM
cossielewis
Scooby Regular

sorry mate, it's a nov 94, so it's a 95 260 bhp engine in it as they changed over in october, subaru wrx, it's got a standerd z4 ecu fitted, and also all sensors have been changed and checked and still made no difference to the co reading,

lewis
Old 25 November 2003, 12:51 AM
cossielewis
Scooby Regular

do you think a gems or other ecu, when mapped and fitted make a difference to the car and make the co levil correct, as if that works, it's better to do that, instead of beating round the bush and getting nowhere, also would a wiring fault cause the co levil to be high????,

cheers, lewis

[Edited by cossielewis - 11/25/2003 12:52:39 AM]
Old 25 November 2003, 01:00 AM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

I sounds like its overfuelling, so both the cats have been fitted, a standard ECU is now being used(where was this sourced? cos it may be 'chipped')and the fuel pressure is standard? What colour are the injectors?
Has the Mass Air Flow meter been checked/replaced?

[Edited by Delboy2 - 11/25/2003 1:02:29 AM]
Old 25 November 2003, 12:51 PM
cossielewis
Scooby Regular

the standerd ecu was already in the car when i picked it up, but the car has been modified, it's got uprated gearbox,diffs,clutch,and loads of stickers, saying what it had on it, like power fc etc, i ve also got some of the handbooks, for the apexi ecu etc, which were found in the boot, but are not on the car anymore, the standerd z4 ecu has been checked and working properly, not been chipped or nothing, and like i said all sensors including mass air flow have been renewed and checked and are all working fine, don't know was else to do,

cheers, lewis
Old 25 November 2003, 01:53 PM
cossielewis
Scooby Regular

maybe if the battery was taken off for 2 hours, to let the ecu reset itself, would that have a chance of working,
Old 25 November 2003, 01:58 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

could be a lambda fault!
Old 25 November 2003, 03:36 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Here's my experiences when the same thing happened to my UK car on it's last MOT. (My CO was only 7% though )

Clearly the car is running rich. The black smoke is a give away.

I was advised to change the plugs, clean the idle valve and clean the carbon from the throttle body. (This I think is almost old wive's tale type advice, as I didn't do 2 of these things & it passed easily... )

I checked the earth connections to everything and found some of them were a bit hopeless. I fitted a new 4 wire lambda sensor (same as the 3 wire, but with a separate earth wire - this I wired into my new earthing scheme)

I also checked the hoses were all OK.

One way to check things would be to disconnect the lambda sensor and see what happens - if the emissions go down, then it is not wired in right, or it's broken.

Lambda sensors work on a 0.9 volt signal indicating "rich fuelling" and 0.2 indicating "lean fuelling". It is easy to get a voltage difference of 0.5 volts between different earth points on the car. This can totally confuse the ECU.

The moral is "Suspect everything"

Old 25 November 2003, 07:36 PM
cossielewis
Scooby Regular

thanks guys, but as i said all sensors have been cleaned and checked, and the broke ones have been replaced with new items, eg the lamba and mass air flow and idle control sensors have all been changed for new items but have made no difference to the co reading,

any help

cheers, lewis
Old 25 November 2003, 07:43 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Someone told me to pull off one of the small hoses on the inlet manifold to help it pass. Not sure I would advise it though. Guess it just adds more air to the system.

Is it using a lot of oil? High Co can mean oil being burned.

MB
Old 25 November 2003, 07:48 PM
wrrjones
Scooby Regular

ive tested em with after maket ecu,s and they have been fine may be an idea to go back to Fc and wind in the fueling for test
as the dont look at ecu they just want it to pass emissions....

who told you it need to be std.....???
Old 25 November 2003, 08:14 PM
cossielewis
Scooby Regular

The car has got apexi stickers all over it, so i thought the car did have that ecu fitted in japan, but when they got rid of it , it was put back to standerd, just a thought really, but the garage says the car is very uprated and thinks is was a rally car before, hence used to have all the ecu and stuff fitted and taken off again, but i was thinking that if the engine and fueling was set up for a rally car, just taken the ecu and sticking in a standerd one would not work very well, hence why i think there is a problem with the car, as all you can hear is fuel pumps when the car is running,

lewis
Old 25 November 2003, 08:17 PM
wrrjones
Scooby Regular

id put the fc back on they are not botherd about stickers and ive sva,d loads of scoobs,,,,,chris
Old 25 November 2003, 08:17 PM
cossielewis
Scooby Regular

also the car is not burning any oil,water and its not that bad on fuel either,
Old 26 November 2003, 12:28 AM
cossielewis
Scooby Regular

i don't have the pwer fc ecu, i ve just been told that it did have that ecu fitted before,