Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

ECUTEK - Which map to go for

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2003, 02:14 PM
mrciave
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi mates,

I'm thinking about remapping my MY01 WRX scooby.

Right now, I have a Scoobysport (Hayward & Scott) uppipe and downpipe, while the rest of the drivetrain is standard.

I also had a backbox from Scoobysport fitted, but as in Italy the police is veeeeery severe on this, I cannot keep the airplane sound. If they then start to look for the catalyzers...

So, two questions:
- while swapping back to standard backbox, I noticed turbo comes on boost 500rpm later, which is something I definitely do not like; so, should I go for an homologated (supersprint or equivalent) backbox? Or, in other words, are there any silent backboxes which allow the turbo to come on boost at a decent rpm?
- which is the right map to go for, in the two configurations, to keep reliability, start the car at -10degrees under the snow, and sometimes run on 95 octane - target 280hp and a torque that comes at as low rpm as possible?

Thanks for help,

Andrea
Old 24 November 2003, 06:45 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

The Supersprint is probably a good compromise; it flows better than stock....but not as well as the ScoobySport. Is the Magnex homologated in Italy (they [sort of....] are in CH)? These flow well given the noise levels.

I don't understand your question regarding the remap; assuming 98 RON is readily available, go for that. It makes no difference whether the car must be started in -10 or not; most tuners leave the cold start, idle and closed loop stuff well alone anyway. The quality of petrol will decide how much timing and (maybe) boost they decide to give you.

Richard
Old 25 November 2003, 08:59 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Why you don't wrap your exhaust and see how it sounds, in my previous MY00 I had full catless exhaust (but with Prodrive centre-back box that are slightly quiter from Scoobysport) and believe me the heat wrap helps a lot reducing the whole noise!
I am going to heat wrap my new Scoobysport exhaust (WRX03)also and I'll post my findings next week.
JIM
Old 26 November 2003, 09:08 AM
mrciave
Scooby Regular

dowser:
I don't think Magnex is homologated in Italy, but SuperSprint for sure is. So it's true, just the standard backbox is horribly restrictive, and even a silent sport backbox will do the job.

Concerning maps, I heard (or red) a lot about tek1, tek2, even tek1.5, and just didn't know which one to ask for. Consider there are (up to now) no Italian tuners with Ecutek, so I should send the ECU to UK to get it remapped. So my idea was a reliable and tested map from ecutek (like the ones I mentioned) + the user tuneable feature to be used for deltadash, for fine tuning by me or an experienced italian tuner. Just did not know what tek1, tek2... are supposed to change, power and reliability levels...

jim:
heat wrapping? where? on the downpipe? or on the uppipe? Consider that in any case, what in UK is considered silent, in Italy makes you risk a car check, with included MOT. So, it's not a matter of reducing a little bit the noise, it's a matter of flowing better with almost a stock sound.

Is heat wrapping of the exhaust before the turbo good for power? because you loose less energy between engine and turbo?

Ciao

Andrea
Old 26 November 2003, 12:59 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Andrea the heat wrap basically reduces under bonnet temp, exhaust noise and helps slightly in the final power but this amount is negligible. If you wrap all the exhaust parts is better, downpipe and back box is what I found to be the noisier!
If you want a stock exhaust noise (or better say Legal) then APS is your company as their exhaust is noise/emission legal, althought they told me that power gains are in the range of 20-25ps (catted 3" with 2,5" backbox system) with huge increase in throttle response and better torque.
Look here for more details, even their decatted exhaust is noise legal!!!
JIM
Old 26 November 2003, 06:28 PM
grahamfrary
Scooby Regular

Andrea, the TEK 1 is basically the same maps as an AE800 MY99 ECU which is an improvement on the AE802 MY00 maps, but probably not worth fitting to a MY01. The target boost is around 14psi I think. The TEK 2 has a target boost of 16.5psi with more map changes. There is a really good description on the ecutek.com website.

Graham
Old 26 November 2003, 07:36 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Yup - a 'tek2' type/style map is probably best for you. How close is Trieste to CH? Email me

Be aware though, the injectors on the WRX are a real limiting factor. If you want serious power you should be looking at turbo and injector and/or fuel pressure regulator swap (plus a new pump of course). Did you get your headers ported while the up-pipe was done?

If you're happy with 260-270ps then just a remap with decat will do it.

Richard
Old 26 November 2003, 07:44 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
There is no such thing as a TEK1/2/3. These are just terms that seem to have taken hold in the minds of people on this BBS. If you ask Steven Done, he will tell you that these "products" dont exist.

Various tuners offer diferent levels of remap, from fully custom mapped to the car (most people call this TEK3) to off the shelf less acurate but safe plug in upgrades (TEK2).

The best thing i suggest you do is talk directly to a quality mapper and see what they can offer you. There is a list of mappers on the ECUTEK website.
Old 27 November 2003, 10:30 AM
mrciave
Scooby Regular

JIM: thanks for the info. Actually, it looks like to me that heat wrapping is a pig of a job, and I will not really need to reduce under bonnet temp, as my tuning will surely be not extreme. And, in any case, the noise coming from a scoobysport wrapped would be still too high. Concerning APS, I will ask them if there is an homologation certificate, as in Italy you need it. Damn burocracy!

GRAHAM: yes, I remember something about this definition of TEK1 and 2. BTW, is 16.5psi safe for stock internals?

DOWSER: yep, another one saying TEK2 is the way to go. And, you're right, I could come to CH to remap. I'm from Trieste, but currently I'm leaving close to Milano, so it would be a piece of cake to come over, and add skiing and remapping.
Concerning injectors and ported headers, that's way too far for what I want. This car will never be a serious track car, as I cannot touch the brakes (again damn burocracy), so I just want to exploit the potential that Subaru killed for emission reasons, but not to go further.
Are you a tuner, as you ask me to mail you?

JOHN: ok, so this should be the interpretation:
TEK1 --> stock boost, but kept constant all over rpm, and correct fuelling;
TEK2 --> 1.1bar boost, for extra grunt, but still fully safe and off the shelf
TEK3 --> rolling road custom map, the same you would do with other engine management systems.
Definately TEK2 is what I would go for. Any comment about the user tuneable feature to be used with DD? Does it allow for real effects?
Will check for swiss tuners, what they offer, and so on...

[Edited by mrciave - 11/27/2003 11:22:52 AM]
Old 27 November 2003, 05:39 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

I think the Tek 1 is a AE800 / 801 map with improvements for the hesitating MY 00.

Tek 2 would be similiar to a PPP map with increased boost levels over stock (think it's same boost levels as PPP) and better timing.

Tek 3 would be custom to your car.

Obviously the Tek 3 is the one to go for, but a postal Tek 2 would make you smile mate believe me and wouldn't involve travelling miles

Just to add to the confusion, I had a developmental Tek 2.75 from John Banks possibly 18 months ago, after removing my PPP ECU. My target boost is 17.4 PSi (just below fuel cut) and hence a safe level. The map is so much better than the PPP map, and I'm seeing improved performance plus better fuel economy John Banks has given up mapping cars now, but Bob Rawle or TSL, or PE should be able to help.

Hope this helps, Phill