Symptoms of Piston Slap?

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2000, 11:03 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Well those who've hadit, what are they?

Lately I've been noticing a strong tapping noise from my engine (MY98 UK Turbo 34k miles, pulling like a train ), not unlike the hydraulic tappets from my last car (Corrado 16V)...

Unsurprisingly this is at it's worst with a cold engine , or after the car has been parked on a slope.

I have to admit it doesn't happen all the time when starting from cold, just about 75% of it.

Does this consitute the first signs of a new bottom end ?

Old 12 April 2000, 08:47 AM
Otis
Scooby Regular

It's a kind of 'dok dok dok' sound when the engine is put under load when cold. Often worse round about 2500-2700rpm and vanishes after about 5 minutes running. Very common problem with MY98 models I understand. Do a search under 'Piston Slap' and you'll see a bit more info. In fact I seem to remember one entitled 'New noise on start up' that was quite good.

Otis.
Old 12 April 2000, 07:57 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

B*gg*r that's the noise, not unlike a very good diesel engine.

If it is I'll probably get it fixed under warranty and then defect to another brand of performance tool . I can't be doing with the rediculous running costs of this car much longer, JD power or not this car has been the most expensive to maintain (even when you exclude fuel) that I've ever known, and the negatives are starting to out weigh the positives...
Old 13 April 2000, 01:04 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

If it's under warranty why do you feel it is expensive to maintain?
The servicing costs have always seemed very reasonable to me.

Stef.
Old 13 April 2000, 01:33 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

I'll drag the running cost argument over to the general forum, so everyone can join in
Old 13 April 2000, 06:10 PM
SteveG
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've been experiencing the same thing with my 96MY WRX STi. A friend of mine who has 20 years experience with engines has given me some advice and put my mind at rest. He said that performance/turbo engines are built with "play" in them to allow for expansion when hot. This means that noises like the ones we are experiencing are not noticeable while the engine is newer or tight but will come on in time. He also said that a noise that will damage an engine will be there when hot as well as when cold. He pointed out that some of the brand new aluminium engines that he has been working with are far noisier from cold than my Scoob.

He recommended good oil sensible driving until warm and then enjoy.

I am enjoying my driving again.

Steve
Old 13 April 2000, 09:56 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Unfortunately I can ocaisionally still hear the noise when the engine in warm, like today on my way home from work ...it spoiled my play...

Trending Topics

Old 14 April 2000, 07:55 AM
Jon Brown
Scooby Newbie

Tim,
If it does it with the engine hot, it means you'll get a new short motor on warranty. Got my 97turbo 33k done last month before the warranty ran out. Good luck.
Old 14 April 2000, 08:56 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Question

Jon,

When they replaced your engine did they fit a new cam belt? I'd assume that they would, because it would be incredibly bad practice to re use the old one.

If they fix my dodgy MY98 clutch as well as fit a new short motor and cam belt, then I might be tempted to actually keep the car - well wouldn't you if major spending on the engine was delayed for another 30 and 45 k miles !!!
Old 17 April 2000, 10:41 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Angry

I'm more confused than ever now...

Just got S10 back after leaving it for a day with my local main dealer. They say that they've thouroughly checked the car over, can't find any evidence of piston slap, only the wastegate acutator solenoid ticking (well actually he called it the boost control valve - until I questioned him in more detail), I knew that ticked, it's done it from new, the noise I'm been on about is different!

They did find that my heat sheild had cracked, and are planning to fix it, but that is a vibration, and it came on badly on Saturday after a little 'moment' that I had involving standing water, a corner, mud and a steep verge which I missed, spectacularly!

When that's fixed I'm going to get the broom stick out and have a listen to the engine myself!

Tim
Old 18 April 2000, 01:22 PM
Otis
Scooby Regular

Hello Tim,

Leave it overnight with them and then meet them the next morning to start it up. I went through the same temporary (or convenient) hearing failure senario and that was what I did. Many people are getting the piston slap corrected now (if of course it is that) so don't let them 8ull5hit you. For the record it does not need to make the sound when hot to get a short motor.

Otis.
Old 09 May 2000, 06:56 PM
flyer
Scooby Newbie

I had the symptoms on my my98 turbo at about 22000 miles. Sounded like a diesel on start up with the sound disappearing quickly (about 10 seconds). However, the noise stayed longer after start-up as the miles grew (up to a couple of minuits).Once the dealer heard the noise (difficult due to the engine having to be cold), they immediately organised a new short engine under warranty. The dealer did not try to evade the issue - they were very helpful throughout.
I hope the new engine will not suffer the same problem as I intend to keep the car for a long time.
By the way, although the engine had piston slap, the car felt really quick at 24000 miles.I dont know why anyone would sell one of these cars with low mileage - they only start to move as they get older. It seems much slower now with the tight engine.