Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Clutch finally gave up!

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2000, 07:18 AM
Mark Pattison
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys,

Well after 2 years (is that a record ) the clutch on my sti4 has started to slip. Its gunna cost me about 300 quid for the sti cover/disc & bearing plus labour at 160 quid, does this sound about right?

What advantage does a lightweight flywheel have..do most people change this aswell when doing the clutch ? I'm a bit reluctant since it costs more than the whole clutch!

Another 250 quid would get a twin plate monster clutch ideal for those full bore launches and possibly a hefty transmission repair bill
Old 21 April 2000, 03:53 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Talking

How long has the clutch been slipping?

If the flywheel is damaged you will get some form of clutch judder. If it needs replacing, then do it! The juddering is caused by the same principal, as if you had a warped or scored brake disc - hot spots or friction of a knackered plate.

Your mileage is really insignificant, it's the type of driving and use, that determines the life of a clutch.

Shaun.

I have just had an AP Racing clutch fitted. It cost me £440.00 inc vat & fitting

My other car (GOLF DIESAL), has done 120,000 and still going strong on the original clutch!

A lightened flywheel, should increase your performance.

[This message has been edited by Shaun (edited 21-04-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Shaun (edited 21-04-2000).]
Old 21 April 2000, 07:02 AM
Mark Pattison
Scooby Regular

Talking

The clutch just started slipping a few days ago (done about 35,000 miles) and was told to change it asap.

Originally planned to get just the normal sti clutch disc and cover but having tried a blokes twin plate Exedy on his car i took the plundge and im picking it up later this afternoon I need to run it in yea?

It looked far too nice in the window and what the hell it lasts longer anyway...
Old 21 April 2000, 12:32 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Mark.
Depends how many miles you've done!
My clutch got me through 48,000 miles including 12 track days and 50+ runs at The Pod in 15months before starting to slip!!
I though about changing my flywheel, but will wait until the warranty runs out I think.
The price sounds about right, I paid £400 for my AP clutch plus £150 fitting.

Stef.
Old 24 April 2000, 08:01 AM
Mark Pattison
Scooby Regular

Hello again,

Well got the exedy twin clutch in now and im not a happy chappy.. after reading a few more posts it looks like the transmission will be but under too much strain.

Right now the chutch rattles like hell and when driven hard I can hear knocking & churping noises from underneath! so you can see how paranoid i am..

Gunning it in 1st then immediatly backing off results in a loud knock from the clutch/transmission area Still not sure if the installation was a bodge job, so if anyone else with a simular clutch could explain some of these noised i'd appreaciate it.

Took the car back to the garage and they said the rattling noise is normal and said I shouldn't worry about ******** the gearbox up if i replace the transmission oil every 3,000 miles. Kazz transmission goes for about 1500 pounds.

Thanks for any advice