Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Break-In interval

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2000, 12:28 AM
JohnS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice from the UK owners manual is to keep it below 4,000 rpm for the first 1,000 miles, and then get the oil change done.

Most people tend to take it gently for the first 500 miles so, and then occasionally give it some sympathetic stick to help loosen off the engine as it nears to 1,000 mile mark. Try varying the speed a lot during the running in process as well, not sticking to the same speed for a long time. Running in is not just about the engine, the gearbox and drivetrain also benefit from this settling down period.

After the oil change at 1K miles (not done in all countries), you are free to use the full rev range, but the engine will still be very tight, and not give it's best for another few thousand miles after this.

Can't comment on the best mods to get done first, as no-one is really aware of what spec the cars will be yet. They might fit better brakes as standard, and the US market may have different suspension settings etc. Best advice would be to keep the car standard for at least 3 to 6 months to let you get used to the car, and it's performance. Only then should you look at making mods which would benefit you alone (ie no need to fit ultra hard suspension and top notch brakes if you never drive it hard on the track).
Old 06 March 2000, 12:47 AM
Lovejoy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info. Since we here in the states have been turbo/WRX deprived I though it best to ask someone then has one. I don't track race, but you should see the races on the freeways here just trying to get a good spot in line before it gets bumper-to-bumper for the next 5 miles. It would make Nigel Mansel proud But either way, I LOVE brakes!!

Lovejoy
Old 06 March 2000, 01:00 AM
Lovejoy
Scooby Regular

Question

With the turbo about to grace the shores of NA, there are many questions that will need to be answered.....for me anyway. So let me start there. What would be the proper break-in interval? I am sure that this will vary between performance v. longevity. But what is the concensus of the board. I guess that the middle ground would be best. BTW, Ihave already started a savings account to finance my first mods. Suggestions on what that should be.

TIA
Lovejoy
Old 06 March 2000, 04:44 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

A bulk buy of backboxes could well be in order for the US if the one they give you is as restrictive as the one they give us.
At Donnigton I only saw a few (3-4) without Scoobysport backboxes that were on the track I did get there late though as the Ford I was management car for on the Robin Hood stages fell to bits after stage 2, so I thought, why not go and see Donno?

After that I suppose your looking at ripping out the cats and putting in a new downpipe, after that a new ECU/Remap, BUT I wouldn't want to be the first. Unfortunately it all gets a bit pricey at this point.

I'd echo what Ian says about the spec being unknown, who knows, if you get it first we may be asking you what works?