Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Downpipe & mid section upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2000, 02:14 PM
Alan McCaskie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm considering upgrading mid section and downpipe on my MY99 UK Turbo. Already have Scoobysport backbox,RamAir and the car runs regular UL fuel. Interested to know owners' experience of upgrading and with which products. Scoobysport seems popular and reasonable money - what experience does anyone have with products from Falkland Performance in Glenrothes? Think their main product is Magnex?

Has anyone rolling roaded car before and after exhaust upgrade and if so what were the results?

Dealer warranty - is it affected?

Thanks in advance,

Alan
Old 03 March 2000, 04:50 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hey Alan,
I have the full Scoobysport kit and I dont think I have to explain any reasons to buy, I just have to say do it. I did it mainly for aural reasons and it has satisfied me more than I could imagine.

With regards to warranties, its a bit of a grey area and comes down essentially to how well you get on with your dealer. I have had warranty work carried out on my 97, I am having a new engine put in under warranty and I have the complete system, but again, it depends on your relationship with your dealer.
Cem
Old 03 March 2000, 07:24 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Alan

I have a UK MY99 and have SS Backbox and Downpipe and Magnex centre. SS products are top notch.

The downpipe and centre (magnex or SS) will make a noticeable difference to your car. They did on mine (PPP and now Possum Link) and i wasnt even going from the standard (more restrictive) exhaust as i already had a Prodrive back box and Sti5 centre to start with!!You will feel the improvement!

The reason i got the Magnex decatt centre from Falkland over the SS centre is that the Magnex centre has a resonator to help quieten things down a bit.

Like me old mucker Cem says, warranty is all down to your relationship with your dealer but removal of the main cat (i.e. in the downpipe) is considered to invalidate the engine warranty. Who cares?

Sunil

PS...Cem, wasnt your short engine replacement authorised BEFORE your downpipe was changed...naughty

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 03-03-2000).]
Old 03 March 2000, 08:34 PM
Alan McCaskie
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your replies guys.

Cem - The noise the rear section makes on its own is good - I guess the big difference with the downpipe from the turbo will be to make the sound of the turbo spinning up that bit more noticeable. Which is nice. The main reason I,m thinking about it is to extract that bit more power without touching the original ECU. But one thing usually leads to another.....

Sunil - looks like one thing has led to another with PPP then Possum Link. How have you found this upgrade? Have you had the car on the rollers?

Cheers

Alan
Old 03 March 2000, 10:56 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Alan,
You are dumping a cat to start off with, so you have some instant bhp there. But you will notice a much more responsive low end with a replacement downpipe. I think a complete replacement exhaust is the best power mod you can conduct without messing about with chips and engine mods.

Sunil,
Yeah, I'll admit that the warranty was authorised before the exchange took place, but I really cant see them getting their nickers in a twist. Steve @ Cheam is a chillled out guy, I suppose you gotta find someone like him.
Cem
Old 04 March 2000, 02:00 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

If its any help, I currently have
Blitz Induction Kit, blitz backbox/mid-section and a Link ECU. Downpipe is the last thing left.

ScoobySport downpipe is the one I'm going for.
Old 04 March 2000, 01:51 PM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just got back from ABP Motorsport at Crewe after having a Scorpion downpipe and Magnex centre pipe fitted. WOW!!!!!!.
already have PPP, HKS Induction kit and Blitz back box.
The car has now been totally changed, turbo spins up quicker, more power, better throttle response and that noise, cracing and popping when letting off the throttle. EXCELLENT cant stop smiling!

Sunilp
What gains have you found from the Possum?

Regards
Paul
Old 04 March 2000, 10:18 PM
JELS
Scooby Newbie

Just had a complete T75 Exhaust and Blitz induction kit from Power Engineering on my STi3. The noise was just too much for long journeys (I'm not as young as I was) and PE changed the back box, (from oval to twin) and fitted dampers in the tail pipes, (no charge). Sounds better. Don't know the before bhp, but the after is 318bhp at 6900rpm. (Red lines at 7900, but I still have the limiter fitted).
Old 06 March 2000, 07:39 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

My car has always been dyno'd at PE and although different days give different results, the last 2 readings were within 5 days of each other with the same operator and very similar weather. The only difference between the 2 were the blitz cone and Possum Link on the second run.

Results were as follows

Before
265BHP and 259 lb/ft torque (PPP, SS Downpipe, Magnex centre, SS Back box)

After
278 BHP and 319 lb/torque - slight overboost - NO KNOCK!...but i am having it turned down so dont worry!
(Link by Bob Rawle, Blitz Cone, SS Downpipe, Magnex Centre, SS Backbox)

Car holds 1.2 bar to 6300 rpm

Sunil

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 06-03-2000).]