Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

A.B.S. Warning Light.

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2000, 07:26 PM
Graham Stocker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was giving my WRX some stick down a bumpy B.road,when the ABS light came on .Drove for another couple of miles with light still on and then stopped. Switched of the engine and checked fluid levels which were ok. Restarted engine and light had gone out and has not been on since . Have i got a problem ??
Old 25 February 2000, 12:58 AM
andyp
Scooby Regular

Graham,

The problem may be something to do with the braking mechanism/circuit or may just be an electrical problem.

If the ABs system senses a problem in the electrical system then it disables the ABS as a failsafe system and flags the warning.

I had an ABS problem that occured after I had some lowered springs fitted. Basically if the car had more than 2 people in it and I drove 'energetically' round a couple of corners the ABS warning light would come on. The problem was traced to a faulty connector (located underneither the nearside rear seat, I think). The lowered suspension had meant that the a particular set of wires had to be pulled out a little during fitting, this must have put too much strain on the connector and thus the fault occured. The problem was fixed by resoldering a new connector in place.

Let's hope it's the latter problem because that'll only cost you a couple of quid to fix.

All the best

Andy
Old 25 February 2000, 08:24 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Activate your ABS to see if the light comes on again.

If it does, you will need to get the car tested with a Select Monitor, to find out what the problem is.
Old 25 February 2000, 05:43 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

Did you slide/skid the car at anypoint during your thrash?

It is possible to get the ABS system to signal a fault and go into failsafe non abs braking mode if you get the car's wheels to rotate at significantly different speeds. This has occured to me on A) a fast start in the wet and B)when the car was run whilst held of the ground by a jack.

Just one possibility!

Moray
Old 25 February 2000, 08:01 PM
Graham Stocker
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your help everyone , The problem light has not come on since last sunday so fingers crossed !! but must get it checked anyway.