Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Gearbox and cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 1999, 07:56 PM
Galaf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that it is well below freezing here in the east of France, I am having real problems with the Gearbox when the car is cold. It's difficult to go from 1st to 2nd gear and even more difficult to go from 3rd to 2nd.
I know all cars do this more or less, but not that much. I wonder if my car doesn't have a problem ( MY99 3000 kms and never changed the gearbox oil ).
Did anybody else already have this kind of trouble, or is it normal for an Impreza?

Laurent
Old 23 December 1999, 10:57 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Hi Laurent,

I have a MY98 UK, and experienced exactly the same problems with 1st/2nd and 3rd/2nd changes. The only comfort I can offer is that by 15000Kms, it had got much, much better. I suspect that they are built 'tight' and take a while to loosen up a bit.

In fact, My gearbox was replaced under warranty at 9000 miles, and the new gearbox is exactly the same as the original one .

Be patient - it will get better with time.

Regards,

Alex
Old 23 December 1999, 06:11 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Mines an sti5 and has a cold problem. You can hardly get 1st and second until the car has warmed up after about 3 miles. I just start it off in 3rd at junctions

Checked gearbox oil - full, will change to Silkolene gearbox oil at about 10,000 miles, as this is reputed to virtually remove the cold start problem

Regards

Steve
Old 23 December 1999, 06:28 PM
Galaf
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your replies, I hope it will get better soon. The warrenty is only one year here in France, so after 9000 mile will probably be allready finished.

Laurent
Old 23 December 1999, 07:18 PM
Maddog
Scooby Regular

My car is doing this same problem, not so bad 1st to 2nd but nightmare going from 3rd down to 2nd.
Seems to get slightly better when warm but not as slick as the rest of the gears.
Have asked dealer for comments but only probs they have had are synchros in 3rd gear. Will let u know when they have had a look at problem.

Curious...does it change better if you push the lever further over to the left?......mine does
Old 29 December 1999, 02:48 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

My sti3 is a little notchy when cold (standard fluid to be changed shortly), I find that double-declutching is the best way to get it into first before it warms.

SteveMc,

I wouldn't recommend starting off in third when the engine was warm, let alone labouring it that much when cold! Ideally, the engine should be stressed as little as possible whilst it is warming up.

Moray
Old 30 December 1999, 09:08 AM
aziz
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Strange , can't you get an extended warranty

for your car in a country like France...!

any way I have the same problem(or may be it

is not a problem) with MY99 turbo in local

temp of a little over zero Celsius, however

it clears after a few kilometres and the

shift action is all O.K. again.

BEST OF LUCK AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR

Trending Topics

Old 30 December 1999, 04:05 PM
Galaf
Scooby Regular

An extended warrenty is rather expensive in France and my local dealer is not very competent. With my previous car, the extended warrenty was never valid when I needed it, so I didn't want to waste 4000 frs on an extension.
My gearbox works also well after a few kilometers when it is warm. I am just worried about some damaging internal stress when I fight to change gears when it is cold.

Happy new year to all scoobynet members

Laurent