Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

confused ??

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 1999, 10:14 PM
Pitbull
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

hi, hope someone can help. I have just seen the results from the dyno day and looking at the figures for Pete Croney's car the figures fell when he added the downpipe ???
Cant understand why when everyone says its removal increase performance. Hope someone can help as I was planning to spend my xmas bonus on downpipe and mid section.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Pete
Old 13 December 1999, 10:52 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Pete.

I'm sure PC can confirm this, but I believe one of the reasons it that although he had fitted his downpipe, he had removed his centre-section and replaced it for a standard one with a cat in it. Apparently he'd lent the centre-section to someone else.
It was also a warmer day, and most people's figures were down anyway, so I wouldn't read too much into it.
There are no comparisons on the site for before and after a downpipe mod on a UK car, although there are a couple of imports that showed good gains.
I have a cat-back system at the moment and will be adding a downpipe in the new year.

Stef.

[This message has been edited by Stephan (edited 13-12-1999).]
Old 14 December 1999, 12:47 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

My 2p worth..

If you have a standard UK car expect better response and sound from an exhaust change, not outright power increases.

The downpipes dont really start to provide noticeable power increases until you have big gas flows (Stis with huge turbos)..

power increases are locked away in the ECU..its all to do with boost/fuel/ignition.

funny how everyone rates the SS products but they never perform at PE's road ?
Old 14 December 1999, 07:46 AM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Cool

Pitbull,

I can speak for my car which has had the downpipe and decat centre and also a friend who has a MY99 UK car with downpipe, it has made a BIG difference to the drivability of the cars.

Go for a spin in a car with downpipe to see for yourself! They DYNO charts don't tell the true story....it's on the road the biggest difference is noticed.

Gethin.
MY97 WRX
Old 14 December 1999, 07:47 AM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Smile

Oh, IMHO the Scoobysport is the one to go for!

Old 14 December 1999, 10:19 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I have had a ScoobySport downpipe fitted to my car, and although it doesn't improve the bhp figures, it does allow the turbo to spin up much quicker and improve the response from the turbo.

Bear in mind the that an exhaust gives minimal bhp for the money.

I know Sunil will agree with me. He said that he didn't notice the Prodrive Performance Pack after it was installed on his car, but the rolling road figures showed an improvement. He then had a ScoobySport downpipe fitted and the car goes round to the red line a lot quicker and felt much quicker, but the rolling road figures doesn't show this.

I think anyone with a downpipe will tell you much the same thing, but who wants big bhp when the car is far more driveable!!!

Feel free to disagree!
Andy
Old 14 December 1999, 12:05 PM
Pitbull
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Thanks Stephan. Which downpipe will u be getting?? So downpipe and centre section worth my xmas bonus then??

Pete
Old 14 December 1999, 07:31 PM
Pitbull
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for your advice, i now know what to do about the xmas bonus. Buy the scooby sport stuff.

Andy wouldn't dare to dissagree, you've got the part fitted. No better recommend than from someone who puts his money were his mouth is. Ta

Anyone else anythink to add before i order on Thursday ????
Old 14 December 1999, 09:54 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Andy/Lee.

Exhaust mods give minimal bhp for the money?
No power icrease on a UK car?
My car was a standard UK 98 at one point.
I've spent £300 on my mid/back sections and I don't think anyone could call my increase minimal.
I guess it depends which exhaust you've got though.

Pete.
For your information I'm getting a Scorpion downpipe 'cos I'm very happy with their exhaust.

Stef.
PS Can anyone explain why these magical downpipe increases DON'T show up on a rolling road that often?????

[This message has been edited by Stephan (edited 14-12-1999).]
Old 14 December 1999, 10:05 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

I agree with Andy....the improvement in my cars feel and grunt and pick up has been enormous since the SS downpipe was added, i dont understand why it shows less power across the whole range than before.

Anyhow, it works...trust me!

Lee, wanna race?
Old 14 December 1999, 10:15 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Stef.

dunno. you have a 98 which has a larger turbo but still..dunno. you seem to be singled out as the exhaust master. perhaps cos your system isnt competing with PE's ?
oops !

Sunil..wait till I get the goodies in place..then we'll see !
anyway I would start by learning how to take a corner first
Old 14 December 1999, 10:36 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

I have the PE T75 downpipe and center section fitted to my MY98. The dyno graphs show the power and Torque coming in later but the car feels like the power is coming in sooner. I have gained 22 bhp, But then it is the PE version

Bob Iles
Old 15 December 1999, 01:08 AM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Wink

.pitbull
I have got Falkland performance DP. same style as SS but cheaper and quicker delivery . bash's car had it on MY99 PP and he got some really impressive gains. a lot more than any SS OR PE DP on a similar MY99 PP. also around the same time of the year as when sunilp got his car dyno’d !! so what does that mean ?? nothing !!!go for the cheapest one and save your money for some other gadgets that may be useful ( boost gauge and pod or something ). the HKS ONE is the cheapest for £125 inclusive of vat you probably can’t beat it. ( why didn't I buy it because I didn't do my research right, looked at the add. too late )

at the end of the day it is only a big pipe without the cat and un-blokes the wastegate. But it does make a difference to the cars derivability which ever route you will go

look at the dyno figures of similar cars, pictures of all the systems and makeup your mind yourself. the only one that is impressive is the BPM one but the 3-5bhp gains (maybe)on a UK car will not justify the cost.

I don't know maybe I work hard for my money

[This message has been edited by Sam Elassar (edited 15-12-1999).]
Old 15 December 1999, 09:11 AM
david
Scooby Regular

I had a SS backbox and a SS downpipe on my MY98. I noticed improvement after the downpipe was fitted ie, pulled harder all the way to the red line.

On Friday I will be having a SS downpipe fitted to my STi V which will mean that I have the full SS exhaust system. I noticed a difference when the mid-section was added and I'm sure I'll notice a difference come Friday.

I might even put the car on the Dyno before the next meet.

Why did I choose SS? because I already had the back box, I've had experience with a SS downppe on my old car, I have alot of other SS stuff (just about everything ) and always enjoy the service from PC, no hassles etc etc.

I agree that it would be very interesting to do back to back Downpipe dyno runs.

I'll post my findings.

Dave

Pete - when can I get my car in a magazine then

[This message has been edited by david (edited 15-12-1999).]
Old 16 December 1999, 01:31 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

I think someone has already hit the nail on the head by saying that any decatted pipe, seperated or not will provide good gains.

I am very happy with mine, dunno about rolling road performance at PE last time and pissed all over some bloke trying to impress his bird in a Porsche Boxster last night!!!.
I also went for the SS one for all the good service and enthusiasm that i receive from PC.

Lee, i only intend to race you in a straight
line so do not worry!!!

I think we need to do a sprint with all the diff downpipes alongside (PE/SS/BPM/Falklands)

I definetely need to race Bash as mine as his cars are identical specs BAR THE DOWNPIPE ONLY....Come on Bash, what do ya say eh?

Happy gruntinng
Old 16 December 1999, 01:41 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

honestly, what are you like ?

boy-racer or what...where's ya big kenny sticker in the back window !

Old 16 December 1999, 01:51 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

I leave stickers to you Essex Lads!!!....anyhow, i prefer Alpine!

I dont encourage racing on the public roads okay!

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 16-12-1999).]
Old 16 December 1999, 03:24 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Do I have to move to Essex?? I've got a ScoobySport sticker on the tailgate and live in Surrey!

Andy

Old 16 December 1999, 05:09 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

You might as well mate, especially with your Induction Kit too!....and take Stef with you!.........LOL
Old 16 December 1999, 05:40 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

To all of you with MY99 UK that have fitted Downpipes...

How have you got round warrenty issues? Dealer aware? Am tempted by a downpipe but not if it means kissing warrenty goodbye!
Old 16 December 1999, 07:14 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Dealers round essex take a pretty intelligent attitude towards the warranty..if your headlights pack in, the fact you've got a decatted downpipe aint going to matter so they do it.

having said that, you always wonder what would happen when a claim actually arises...

I get mine serviced by scoobysport..intelligent attitude all round..
Old 17 December 1999, 12:22 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Sunil,

You might want to give the air inductor a go!! The throttle response is amazing now!! It's a bit noisy, but hey when you've already got a ScoobySport backbox and downpipe, it seems rude not to add a noise which isn't a rumble!!!

Andy
Old 17 December 1999, 01:39 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Question

sorry for ignorance but...air inductor = cone filter?
Old 18 December 1999, 05:58 PM
david
Scooby Regular

Cool

chaps,

Had the SS downpipe fitted toady. I now have the full SS system on my 'V'. (I also have a Blitz induction cone).

Better pick-up,
ALOT (understatement of the year ) more mid-range,
I'm on full boost by 2500/2750 revs
(someones suggestion that the d/p increase is not visible on the rollers due to the curves moving left on the graph could well be right, Paul should definatley look into this comparison)
<B>SOUNDS AWESOME</B>

You could say I'm rather happy with it

Dave

[This message has been edited by david (edited 18-12-1999).]

[This message has been edited by david (edited 18-12-1999).]
Old 18 December 1999, 06:28 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ah i saw your lovely V5 at SS today. Where were you??
Old 18 December 1999, 06:32 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Smile

Andy, might have to check it out after hearing someones (bob?) reasoning behind temperature recovery speed. The downpipe on full throttle sounds lound enough anyhow, i could be heard approaching SS this morning a mile off!!!!

GaryC....ask your dealer, but you can always change it back to std if an engine claim arises! It workds really well with the PPP
Old 18 December 1999, 08:00 PM
david
Scooby Regular

sunilp,

I left about 12.

(with a big grin on my face )
Old 18 December 1999, 09:37 PM
Anders
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have bought a SS downpipe and installed Scooby Sport driving lights to Mr Squires 22B. As a thank you present

I had the very first downpipe from Scooby Sport as Pete Croney's own car was not fully run in and he did not want to generate too much eagerness in a tight engine.

Bluddy marvelous product and in my car it caused no problems for 20,000 miles until the Poor Engineering disaster has left me without my baby. I will be keeping it on my car when it is back on the road