Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

what's that black plastic thing?

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 1999, 03:41 PM
david
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

What's that black plastic thing in in the engine bay in front of the air box? It's fixed to the car directly behind the light, bends to the left and dissapears into the wing.

cheers,

Dave.
Old 23 November 1999, 03:57 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

That is just the inlet to the air box. It disappears into the wing, and then comes back out again closer to the headlamp where the air is sucked in. The reason that the inlet disappears into the wing is that there is a resonator in there to quieten down the induction roar.

Hope that helps.

Andrew
Old 23 November 1999, 05:51 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

plus it stops water from being drawn in..

I've always wondered what would happen with an induction kit if it were raining very hard, or if you were getting lots of spray from the car in front etc etc...surely water will get sucked in and "bang" ?
Old 23 November 1999, 07:36 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Lee.

When you fit an induction kit (K&N anyway), you retain that duct and the bottom half of the air-box as it acts as a cold air intake, so there's no problem.

Stef.
Old 24 November 1999, 12:27 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Steph,

When you fit an induction kit, the resonator left in the wing becomes redundant. It will not provide a cold air feed to the cone filter unless you have modified the system to duct cold air from the front of the (moving) car (MRT brake duct cold air induction pipe?).

In later cars, which _suck_ air from behind the headlight, the headlight duct (or whatever you call it) is sometimes used to mount an ambient air temperature sensor, so this should be left in place (or the sensor could be remounted nearer the code).

Moray
Old 24 November 1999, 12:40 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Lee,

Cone filters:

Have a look under your bonnet at the airbox area (where cone filters go), can you see any remanants/indication of water ingres into the area? The cone filter would be mounted very near the wastegate control solenoid and MAP sensor, both items are probably happier when kept dry.

I suspect that HKS, K+N, Blitz, and all the other cone filter suppliers will have considered the possibility of water ingres very early on in their impreza kit design programmes.

If you remove the bonnet vent blanking plate, you could have water problems, unless you make up some kind of water redirection device. A microwavable clear plastic food container from my local chinese did the job admirably on my previous car.

I would agree that if water were inducted it would cause erosion damage to the turbo impeller blades, which would be serious, and possibly other damage.

Moray