Downpipes

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 1999, 10:22 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Next on my shopping list is a downpipe.
I would like some opinions of people that have them regarding low down torque, noise, cost, etc.
I've heard lots about the SS version, but would like to hear more about other ones.
Does anyone have a different make?
Thanks in advance.

Stef.

[This message has been edited by Stephan (edited 02-11-1999).]
Old 02 November 1999, 11:23 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

The power engineering T75 twin-dump downpipe is also very good, have a look at that one too. I should be able to give you a more descriptive reply once I have had the chance to try one (again) towards the weekend.

Moray

[This message has been edited by MorayMackenzie (edited 02-11-1999).]
Old 02 November 1999, 08:12 PM
Big Bear
Scooby Regular

Stephan,
I have an HKS de-cat down pipe fitted to my 93WRX , it has made a big difference to the response of the engine it feels to have more torque at lower revs and feels to be willing to rev alot more freely all the way to the limiter . It also makes the turbo whistle more audible in the car .
I have also found the car to be a little bit more economical running of boost.
Hope this helps Dave
Old 02 November 1999, 10:13 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Hi Stef
I have got a downpipe from Falkland performance centre, which is designed by the people at autosportif. I have tried the first one made. It is a bit of a hybrid between the ssport one and the HKS one and the obviously the claim to be the best. I have to admit it is good, however it is loud inside the car as you hear the turbo ( i think )spinning more freely. I can get to almost 70mph in second gear now and I have got a lot more grunt at low and high revs
IMHO after having one look at the original one. I can't see how you could go wrong with any downpipe at all. On the original pipe the wastegate is totally blocked and off course there is the cat.

Sam
Old 03 November 1999, 12:52 AM
redrex
Scooby Newbie

Gday Guys, Tony here from Melbourne, Australia!..

I got the BPM duel dump pipes & the BPM top mounted intercooler on my car, thats the only mods I have.

I did some gtech drags monday night at 3am under a bridge on one of our freeways here in Australia. Me and about 20 other cars, (tell me it didnt look suss.. hehe), anyhow before the cops busted us up, I got 13.69 for the 1/4 mile which is bloody good. Here in australia we have a system called APS Phase One, which gives the cars 13.4 for the 1/4 i'm 0.2 seconds off that time, big deal, that kit costs $3,000 here and it includes the following:

Stage 1 Kit: (MY 97 Model)

Output: Claimed 206 kw (120kw @ wheels) + 375 Nm Torque
Performance: 0-100: 5.0s, 400m:13.4 s
Modifications 3" Mandrel Bent Exhaust
Cold Air Pipe running from Brake Duct + K& N Filter Insert
Water Injection
New ECU
Standard Turbo running 17.4 psi

Cost: $3000 Installed.
--
tell me I'm not doing to baddly with just the BPM duel dump and hiflow cat system and BPM top mounted intercooler~!!!!.. at just over half the cost of the above system to boot and only 0.2 seconds off their time, and this was my first ever drag meet also~!!
( i had the PERRRFECT LAUNCH! ) i kicked a 250kw HSV and a 200SX that night... and i MEAN 'KICKED~!'

t.o.n.y.
oh i have some pix online if you want to see my setup
Old 03 November 1999, 08:56 AM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

Hi Stef,
I've got the SS one. Thought as I've got the backbox may as well stick together.
I think the "twin dump" things are good for highly modified cars.
Low speed torques is much improved (turbo comes in at 2500k - was about 3250 - STI) and it carries on all the way to the red much better.
I felt, because of the extra low down grunt, that it diluted the feel of the mid-top end power. But it doesn't.
My car feels effing quick to 60 now.
It is louder now. Deeper and loadsa turbo whistle.
Sounds awesome (wife thinks it sounds stupid, huffing and chuffing everywhere!)
Quality of the SS one is probably one of the best.
You definitely won't regret it.
Old 03 November 1999, 09:26 AM
TimK
Scooby Regular

Stef,
I have the SS downpipe, mid-section & back box.
The quality of these products cannot be disputed - they are all ace.
The most noticable difference came after fitting the downpipe - increased torque from lower down the rev range, cleanly revs out to the rev limiter & more resposive, as the turbo can spin up to speed quicker.
The mid-section also makes a big difference and increases torgue quite a bit. The full system sounds amazing, though it is quite loud!
At Dick Grimes recent driving school, many commented on what a great noise the full system produced - the power figures speak for themselves :-
STi5 4 door - 299 bhp & 280 lb/ft torque!

If you fancy a test drive, give us a call on 0956 370 340.

PS - Thanks for scaring me sh**less at Wroughton!!
Old 03 November 1999, 09:27 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

I think you've hit the nail on the head Sam..any of the downpipes on the market have to be "better"..I say "better" cos obviously you are losing a cat and thus entering into the realm of dodgy emissions.

How long does it actually take to change the front pipe ? I've heard its a bugger, perhaps thats why we don't see more of them being changed.
Old 03 November 1999, 09:40 AM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

I was told by PC that a downpipe on a 3' Scorpian system like ours might have a negative rather than positive effect on torque.
Old 03 November 1999, 04:42 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Just a question on sosmething I dont understand given sams response.

If the ratios havent changed and the red limiter hasnt moved, how can the car go any faster in any given gear? I can understand if it gets there quicker but not how tythe total speed in second can have increased.

Am I being stupid? someone please explain.
Old 03 November 1999, 05:16 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Mr Leigh has raised a valid point.
I have a Scorpion system that has a 4" pipe (not a 3 foot one like him! ) and was wondering whether any particular type of downpipe would be more benficial.
This is the exact reason why I haven't really been looking at the SS one, as I too heard it may have an adverse effect with my system.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to which type of pipe would suit the larger bore of my exhaust?

Redrex.
We (I ) can do 13.5's here with an outlay of £320 which was exhaust/air filter only.

Adam.
Good point, I couldn't work it out either!

Thanks again for all your comments.

Stef.
Old 03 November 1999, 06:29 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Adam and Stef

Don’t get me wrong here. I don’t understand it either I know that the speed is controlled by the gear ratio and the bhp at any given time so theoretically it should not make any difference, but I can get to almost 70mph in second gear now which I couldn’t before. Maybe because it does not cut off as early. Maybe the car is so much louder I push harder with out hearing the engine scream.

Lee it takes about 3-4 hours but apparently should only take 1-2 hours after that as you loose the heat shields

Thanks TimK I shall be giving these numbers a try.

Sam

[This message has been edited by Sam Elassar (edited 03-11-1999).]
Old 04 November 1999, 12:25 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Redrex,

Surely air temp in Australia is so much higher that your power outputs will not be as high and hence your quarter mile times higher.

[This message has been edited by Adam M (edited 04-11-1999).]
Old 04 November 1999, 12:40 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Question

Isnt the gtech one of them in car "cheapo" units that measures BHP, 0-60, etc etc?

robski
Old 04 November 1999, 12:59 AM
Steve Howat
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Lee.

If the fixings on the old one aren't too stubborn it shouldn't take too long to fit the downpipe. Mine took me 3 hours but 2 1/2 hours of that was trying to remove the old one (4 year old car!). My biggest problem was the fixing to the rear bracket and I ended up getting under the car with an angle grinder to remove the offending item whilst retaining the mounting point! Not easy with the sparks flying in your face!

Hope this answers your question, its worth the effort!

Steve.
Old 04 November 1999, 10:42 AM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

If any manufactures or suppliers have any input here in would a help
Old 04 November 1999, 11:34 AM
redrex
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Hi Stephan,
>re: Redrex.
>We (I ) can do 13.5's here with an outlay of £320 which was exhaust/air filter only.

Question: Is that in a normal WRX or a STi, cos our STi's here in Australia only manage 13.3's, and our 22B's do 12.8's standard.

Normal MY99's do 13.9's

A mod'd MY99 with STiv3 turbo, turbosmart bleedvalve to 16psi, cold air, HKS filter, and it'll do 13.6 for the quarter.

How the *** are you doing 13.5's with just exhaust & air filter only??... Do you have time sheets you can upload please, i'd love to see this, and can anyone back you up??

t.o.n.y.
Old 04 November 1999, 02:52 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi guys...

They can take anywhere from an hour... to nearly 5!! (Feckin King Kong tight bolts)

The I/C can stay in place.... 5 bolts for the heat shield... five bolts for the downpipe onto the turbo... one for the bracket... and two bolts for joining onto the mid-section.

Hope this helps..

J.

Old 04 November 1999, 04:20 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Howdy bash...

Reet then...

Personally... I would ditch the heat shield... and fit lagging onto the pipe.. and a turbo lag kit on (yep you guessed it) the turbo... But these kits are expensive...

The Heat shield does have to be modified when fitted with exhausts that have a dump pipe (Scoobysport, PE, GGR, BPM).

Their are only two studs on the turbo... the rest are bolts..

They can be real stubborn.... I've had to saw/burn/shear off someones bolts .... because the previous person who had fitted them had over tightened them

Luckily the studs were looser, because they are difficult to get into.

If the studs do shear.. then the turbo has to come out (not too difficult, 3 bolts, water and oil pipes... intake pipe..etc).

I have never had a stud go on me *touch wood*
Just be patient... use plus gas, etc...

L8ters.

J.

Old 04 November 1999, 04:39 PM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'm gonna lower the tone.
J's never had a stud go on him - oo-er!
Old 04 November 1999, 05:44 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Oh...you are just sooooo funny..

J.

ps - And here I was.... just about to offer to fit a DP for StePH.. lol

Old 04 November 1999, 08:28 PM
Steve Howat
Scooby Regular

Thats strange, Mine had 3 studs and 2 bolts (mines got the bigger turbo)??!! If you lose any they are an M10x1 (fine pitch) thread (I lost one). If you try to remove them whilst still hot (gloves required) they should shift a bit easier!!
Old 05 November 1999, 12:16 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Tony.

My car is a standard MY98 with only exhaust and air filter changed (for an induction kit).
At the last dyno day she pumped out 251 horses and 223lb/ft of torque.
I have time sheets for all my runs, and I'll see if I can get someone to scan them up for me.
On that particular day, the only person there who contributes to this BBS was Mike Rainbird from the RS Owners Club. Look at that thread or do a search for 'Santa Pod' and read some old postings.
The most important part of a 1/4 mile is the launch, which apparently I'm quite good at( ) but you say you're perfect at!
Other than that I can't explain why I'm quicker than your modded cars.

Stef.

[This message has been edited by Stephan (edited 05-11-1999).]
Old 05 November 1999, 06:33 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Hi Steve

I think J lost count in his frustration with them. All OE scooby turbo's have 3 studs and 2 bolts.

Old 05 November 1999, 06:59 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Indeed they due..

I couldnt be arsed to correct the mistake... didnt think it was important enough... lol

There are 3 studs... around the side and bottom...with the bolts at the top...

happy now... lol

J.
Old 07 November 1999, 07:22 PM
Steve Howat
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi J.

I was just being picky as its probably the only thing I do know about the car (mechanically) compared to your vast knowledge!!

Cheers

Steve
Old 07 November 1999, 09:55 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Erm...

Those words dont go together... Jay.. knowledge...and vast...

Unless you are referring to my IT knowledge.... lol *joke*

J.

ps - But thanks for the compliment
Old 08 November 1999, 07:30 AM
Mark Pattison
Scooby Regular

Hi guys,

I've just this minute come back from our Subaru dealers having finally removed both the top and bottom ends of the heat shield around the turbo. Ever since I installed the downpipe I've been plagued by awful rattles coming from the heat shield.

The subaru guys said it should be ok if I fit lagging on to the pipe just like firefox said. Is this the done thing then...

I'm just a bit worried about the enormous heat right next to one of the steering joints. Anyway I'm well chuffed that the rattles seem to be all sorted now

----
Just found a picture which shows that steering joint which sits right under the downpipe & exposed turbo :
Old 13 November 1999, 07:10 AM
BPM
Scooby Regular

Just a quick note the BPM Sti Twin Dump has been released. This is a perfect match for those having the Sti VF 23 turbo and want excellent increase. Can provide dyno charts and pictures of the unit which was released earlier this week. We are ecstatic with the results!

If you have any further queries , please do not hesitate to email me or we can chat online with
ICQ (45940764)

Greg Nikolettos
BPM Marketing Division
Phone: (617) 3272-8885
Mobile: 0410 678 989
Fax: (617) 3218 8880

Quick Reply: Downpipes