clutch questions

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 1999, 02:10 PM
Rich Curtis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,
The third clutch on my legacy turbo is on it's last legs (198kMiles)and I've just had a quote from my local dealer (Cardiff) for £755+vat!!!. This includes a flywheel which I was told usually has hairline cracks.
Two questions:
1/ Am I being ripped off?
2 /I am considering a Group N clutch from PTS (I think its an AP Race unit). Anybody had any experience with this clutch system on an Impreza?
Cheers
Richard Curtis
Old 15 November 1999, 05:45 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Not sure about a legacy, but brothers'impreza clutch and flywheel (see earlier posting) was replaced on Friday at Osbornes of Colchester and it cost somewhere around that figure. Speak to Pete C at Scoobysport about a group N. He gave my friend some good advice.

Regards

mark
Old 15 November 1999, 07:32 PM
Did
Scooby Regular

Rich,
Just had an AP Racing 4 Blade Sprung Paddle fitted in my MY95 WRX. I reckon this is probably the same clutch you are talking about (used on group n cars) The price of my clutch was about £350 inc VAT for the plate cover and bearing from GGR it was then 6 hours labour to fit. I didn't replace the flywheel as my car has only done 70K Km so it shouldn't need it. GGR did quote for a flywheel when I was considering a bigger STI clutch and I think it was about £250 inc VAT. Simon Chamberlain at GGR is a top bloke and should help you out.
I've done around 600 miles with the clutch now and it is quite juddery, but it does seem to be settling down a bit. If you are really considering this clutch and want a chat about it e-mail me direct. Alternatively if you are around Derbyshire some time then I'll meet you and you can see what it's like yourself.
Hope this helps
Did

P.S £755 +VAT does sound a lot even with the flywheel included- is the clutch a genuine part?
Old 16 November 1999, 04:44 AM
malique
Scooby Regular

For 700 quid I would go for the Exedy twin plate clutch, it has better "bite" and theoretically lasts ~twice as long. The AP/all metal clutches dont last very long, remains juddery to a certain extent and shaves at least 1mm from the flywheel in its life span. That said, they do clamp with impressive verocity.

malique.
Old 16 November 1999, 09:25 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi there...

You should try their "Grp A" clutch (unsprung)... **** me..does that judder when you try and engage it!! lol

I managed to shave 1mm...within about 2 days!!! The clutch plate was fine.. the rest wasnt.. I know.. I know.. when you uprate the plate...you should uprate evening else.. I was young...naive..... poor.... It wasnt on a Scoob by the way... lol

I had to take it out..and switch back to the oem type

J.