Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Boring out a EJ20

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 1999, 11:18 PM
N/A
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just curious but has anybody had their EJ20 bored out to a 2.2L? This may seem a bit odd but I was looking for a little more low end out of the EJ20 and also after a little more power. Thanks
Old 27 September 1999, 09:55 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Howdy..

As stated TDI do the stroker kit...so do a company called JUN in Japan.

This will up the torque considerably. You wont get massive gains alone. If you are going down that route I'd also consider a new turbo and different cams (of course with a free flow exhaust and air filter). At this point I'd probably consider a front mount intercooler too, and diffinately a new ECU system. (You'd replace the sundry parts to cope too)

After that you should have a stonking car

Cheers,

J.

ps - What car have you got ? LOL
Old 29 September 1999, 11:36 AM
Crusty
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

My panelbeater has just sold his 2.5 ltr WRX, he used a 2.5 legacy crank and a bored 2.2 legacy block with custom rods & pistons... very good torque with zero lag.
Old 29 September 1999, 11:47 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi there.

That is the other way of doing a conversion, that method (using parts from the same series, but larger engine) has been used on virtually every make of car. Its normally used if a kit isnt available.

So his was a bored out 2.2l to a 2.5 litre ?

The only downside with it, is that your arent gaurenteed of it working, lasting, or being capable of taking the strain. Because the parts werent designed to all work together. At least with the kit (in theory), you know it will all go together and is designed to work.

Chances are it will work, if you carefully plan it out and speak to experienced people. Chances are its far cheaper too

With using the differenct crank, boring the head, what pistons do you use ? do you change the valves ? Line the bores ? Cams ?

J.
Old 29 September 1999, 03:45 PM
N/A
Scooby Regular

I am going to use a STi Version4 as a donor car in order to make my US spec Impreza RS the way it should have come from Japan. I hate the watered down detuned cars we get in the US. It seems as though we are forced to buy American Lead Sleds or make due with cut rate Imports. I want a car with both torque and horsepower. I just need to find a careful balance. I already have the US 2.5L and hate it. The thing is good with low end torque but after that it just doesn't live up to the promises that the looks of the car have given people. Was the Version4 a good choice of donors? Once complete am I going to have regrets about it? Any help you could give me would be appreciated since I start my project in early Jan.
Old 29 September 1999, 04:21 PM
Guy Humpage
Scooby Regular

N/A,

The advantage you have in the US is that the 2.5RS is so cheap ($18K?) that you can do some pretty serious mods before you approach the price of the Impreza Turbo here in the UK
($32K).

Let's not even discuss the cost of petrol/gasoline your side of the Atlantic

All the best with the conversion.
Old 29 September 1999, 04:33 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

N/A,

Good choice of donor car, although sti 3 engine is (arguably) stronger / more tuneable. Choose one the same colour as your RS and donate all parts except the chassis and registration plates to the US version. Full conversion time, around two hours, if you are careful not to damage anything whilst swapping chassis plates!

Moray
Old 29 September 1999, 05:52 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Isn't the reason that the Turbo is not available in the US cos the fuel is dire ? You cant seriously expect to run a turbocharged engine at the (whatever it is) RON level available.

So the US answer of "just make it bigger" was born

Hence the common practice of truck engines and shoehorns