Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Help please- clutch/engine noise - update to previous post

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 1999, 04:25 PM
Scottie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi again - an update to previous post as the last thread went down a different route.

The source of the noise is definately not turbo related and is only present when clutch pedal depressed.

Basically, on changing gear or on blipping the throttle with clutch pedal depressed, there is what I can only describe as a magnification of engine noise which isn't present when car in gear and under load or when clutch pedal fully released and car in neutral.

Steve (Clarkey) suggested clutch pipes vibrating against the bulkhead. Steve - more info would be helpful (which pipes & where) if you are reading this as this could be the problem but I'm not particularly aware of vibrating clutch pedal.

The clutch action is silent at tickover so its not likely to be release bearing problems.

What is worrying is that it could be a flywheel/clutch plate/diaphram problem as the noise is only there when drive is disconnected.

Any help/suggestions/experiences would be welcome.

Cheers
Scottie
MY99
Old 14 September 1999, 05:54 PM
Clarkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scottie

My vibration was caused by a pair of pipes on the bulkhead towards the driver's side of the centre of the car - if these are vibrating, you may see a mark on the bulkhead.
The noise was only apparent when changing gear on full boost, and could be be felt through the clutch pedal.

SGT in Maidenhead sorted it out in minutes - they seemed to be aware of the problem.

Email me off list if you like - clarks@sagetetra.com

Cheers