Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Wheel Bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 1999, 07:23 PM
Proby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HiYa folks,
I`ve got a bit of a rumble on MY93 WRX, it`s only really noticable at slow speeds. I`m pretty sure it`s not the transmission or tyre noise, and I`m putting it down to the front wheel bearings. Has anybody any experiance of changing these? If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated, on fitting the bearings, or just manufacturers numbers(so I can get some matched up).
Cheers,
Proby.

Old 20 July 1999, 08:41 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Hi Proby,

I don't know if you've checked the bearings(jack the car up,and try to shake the wheel)if the bearings are shot,you will feel movment between the wheel,and the hub.

I just had a bearing changed,and the garage said that the new bearing had to be 'pressed' in.

I don't know if the pt.no's the same as my STi98 (128016AA011).If you speak to Steve at SGM, tel. 01295-272737.Tell him I suggested you call.SGM are actually the Prodrive bodyshop,and can get WRX/STi parts direct from the Prodrive motorsport.

Mark.
Old 20 July 1999, 10:30 PM
MarkF
Scooby Regular

Proby, I've got a rumble at low speeds on MY93 WRX. I suspected that it was either wheel bearings or bushes but on investigation it appears to be the top strut mounts. There is vertical play in the bearings which can be seen when the car is jacked up and you lift the strut by hand. Just another possibility for you.
Old 20 July 1999, 10:32 PM
MarkF
Scooby Regular

Proby, I've got a rumble at low speeds on MY93 WRX. I suspected that it was either wheel bearings or bushes but on investigation it appears to be the top strut mounts. There is vertical play in the bearings which can be seen when the car is jacked up and you lift the strut by hand. Just another possibility for you.
ps I'm gonna change mine pretty soon cos its bloody annoying!
Old 22 July 1999, 07:54 PM
Proby
Scooby Newbie

Thanx for the reply`s,
I`ve checked the bearings for any `play` but all seems OK. A mechanic freind of mine seems to think the noise is dead certain to be the bearings, he says even though you can usally feel the movement, it is possible they can become worn and noisy with no apparent feel. I think i`ll get them changed anyway. There also feels to be no play in the top strut mount.
Cheers Proby.
Old 23 July 1999, 11:23 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I can tell you how to change drive shafts, gators, etc...

I have done these before...

Cheers,

J.
Old 27 July 1999, 08:50 AM
David Wall
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

I recently had the same sort of rumble at low speeds, and was told it was likely to be a wheel bearing. So I checked for any play by jacking up the car and there was none!

So I took the car to the dealer and they confirmed that it was the inner wheel bearing! Apparently they can be gone for a long time before the wheel becomes loose! ;-)

PS They did change both the inner and outer wheel bearing.