Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Should I fit my aftermarket exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2003, 11:26 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I recently bought an MY00 Impreza which in the deal came with an aftermarket exhaust. Its from the turbo back and only has the back box for silencing and has at a guess a 3" tail. Think its magnex but not sure. She's done 43K

Anyway, should I fit it or leave the car drivetrain alone? could it harm the car in some way? will it increase fuel consumption (more than it is now! )

It did have a Prodrive ECU but unfortunately the guy had agreed to sell it or I would have had that too.

Any help? just a bit paranoid about damaging the car.
Old 04 November 2003, 11:39 AM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drive it around as it is for a bit. Then, when you're bored, or have simply got used to the lovely sound/performance, fit the aftermarket system and voila! you have a new car all over again.

If you want to be careful then go for a boost gauge just to keep an eye on things.
Old 04 November 2003, 07:19 PM
Kendo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Edd fellow exGTI-R owner i had my Impreza about 2-3 weeks then on went the H&S down pipe & centre section with a Firestorm backbox i'd say get the boost gauge too just so you can check if theres any probs.
Old 04 November 2003, 07:25 PM
Euan Brown
Scooby Regular

Hi Edd,

I have a MY00 UK Turbo and have a full 3" system including downpipe, and it too only has a backbox for silencing. Mine is a Revolution system.

To be honest, there is minimal difference in MPG, provided you aren't driving the car hard all the time to hear the new exhaust note!!

Also, i almost certain there hasn't been any increase in boost pressure at all, the main difference is the fact that the turbo spools up far, far quicker because both of the restrictive CAT's are gone.
Old 04 November 2003, 07:38 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

As the MY00 ECU (typically) copes with a decat (bugeyes are prone to serious overboost, 'classics' aren't), freeing up the exhaust should increase engine efficiency & reduce potential damage (lower stresses), so improve performance or economy, depending on how you decide to drive .
A boost guage is always a good idea - standard car or not - but unless you pay £££ for one it won't be very accurate: no problem - just fit the guage before any changes, note the peak/sustained boost, then make changes & make sure nothig's gone wierd.
Likewise, a KnockLink is always a good idea for no other reason than petrol stations frequently ****-up the tanks & you mistakenly fill up with NUL - keep a bottle of NF or similar in the boot for these 'accidents' . Also, particularly with the MY99/00 & their (original) dodgy MAF sensors, it's an easy way of monitroing for this problem occuring.
Erm, I think that's it!
Old 05 November 2003, 07:50 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice one chaps, thanks

I was planning to get autometer gauges as they seem popular and cheap which is nice . However, if the guage isn't going to be that accurate perhaps I should hold out and get Defi ones?