Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Wot does a blown Up-pipe gasket sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2003, 10:52 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Think I may have blown an up-pipe gasket on the way home tonight!
As soon as the car hits 3500rpm (spool up time of the turbo) I get what sounds like the air filter has fell off!! The induction roar is overpowered by a loud sucking/blowing noise! Car drives ok but I swear it feels different somehow! (Gruppe-S headers with Flexi Up-pipe) Help??
Old 30 October 2003, 11:57 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Angry

Scratch that! Been for another drive and I think the Turbo is fooked Spools up ok, but if I hold it at say 10-15 psi + I hear this loud sort of screeching induction noise Car is running @1.35-1.4 bar on a standard VF28 I think (P1) Anyone got one for sale??
Old 31 October 2003, 07:59 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

VF28 for sale.
Old 31 October 2003, 09:33 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

I've had an up-pipe gasket fail with my standard system, it sounds exactly like what you have said,the dealer thought it was a turbo failure but with only 20K on the clock i didnt think so.
When they removed the upper gasket you could see where it failled.

You have said the headers and up-pipe are not standard, are you sure a NEW gasket set was used when fitting the aftermarket parts,they can run fine but in most cases blow within weeks, giving that lovely noise on boost.

Dont buy a turbo get the gaskets changed first.

Zippy
Old 31 October 2003, 09:42 AM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Talking

Zippy, thanks for the reply, I was kinda hoping it could be the gaskets, but I'm not convinced as I'm not that lucky The gaskets are all new, and were fitted properly as I did it myself! Will have to get underneath tomorrow and have a look. (wouldn't the exhaust blow under no boost tho?)
Old 31 October 2003, 10:09 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Correct me if I am wrong but VF28 is capable for 18psi max continuous boost, if you hit 1,4bar it's possible to have problems right?
JIM
Old 31 October 2003, 11:05 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My up pipe lost so much boost above 4000 rpm and sounded rattly at idle.
When I took it off it fell into two pieces as the slip joint had corroded badly.
Nothing was visible whilst it was on the car, so I was also prepared to put a new turbo on.

Nick
1997 Forester S/tb
Old 31 October 2003, 01:05 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

The gasket wont blow on normal driving even if you rev the t#ts off it whilst its standing.Mine only blew when on 1/2 boost and when the gasket came off the leak was about 3-4mm wide but with the pressure of the gases on boost this was enough to create the sound which is audible to other road users who all looked at me as if my car was knackered.

Pickle one thing you could try if the new gaskets you fitted havent been on that long is to give the bolts another tweak and see if its enough to tighten it up.

If not, start again with a new one as it will be the turbo end thats blown and whatever the torque settings are for the bolts add another couple of ILB to each nut.

Zippy
Old 31 October 2003, 05:31 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Zippy, the more I read about your results, the more I think I've definitely got the same problem. Thinking about it, if it was a turbo problem, then it would have been gradual increase in noise getting worse, whereas with the gasket blown it would be instant, which is exactly what happened. One minute fine, then booted it and the noise suddenly appeared! Am I right that people have used some kind of Transit gasket as its tougher? Where can I get a replacement? (Lateral Performance?)
Old 31 October 2003, 06:02 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I've pulled a turbo off convinced it was a turbo failure, when in fact it was a gasket. It is mere coincidence that the turbo did fail a month or so later
Old 31 October 2003, 06:08 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Thanks John, that has filled me with confidence now
Old 31 October 2003, 07:09 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Question

sorry for the hijack yet again, but if i was fitting a different(second hand) up-pipe, would i be better renewing the gaskets?
Old 31 October 2003, 07:29 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

The only reason it blew up was that I oversped it based on erroneous specs.

Bit naughty, but you can often reuse gaskets if refitting the original stuff, but when you change pipes, pressure points on gaskets vary and they really should be changed. I've got away with reusing gaskets on many occasions (partly because I've had more turbo swaps than hot dinners) but have only had issues when trying this when changing the flanges with different pipes. So fitting aftermarket uppipe, always change the gaskets. In fact, always change the gaskets, because for most people the inconvenience of a gasket failure when paying a garage is far more costly than prophylactically changing them all everytime anyway. It is hashy not to

[Edited by john banks - 10/31/2003 7:32:14 PM]
Old 31 October 2003, 07:54 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Talking

got a two poster at work to do the job meself anyhoo. didn't bother with re-newing the gasket on the dp, so i'm figuring i might just seal it all right up!!!

and hope

just an impatient booger, i am...thats all
Old 31 October 2003, 07:54 PM
Abbylad
Scooby Regular

Stop press!!! John B pulls off turbos
Old 01 November 2003, 09:46 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

...and if you experienced a exhaust gasket leaking before the turbo it could overspeed to produce the desired boost levels right? In every case it's better to buy new gaskets rather turbo or even double pay the service for gasket change IMO!
JIM
Old 01 November 2003, 05:06 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Right, spent all day under the car today, removed the downpipe to get to the up-pipe studs on the turbo end, no signs of blowing so tightened the nuts as far as I could (didn't go much at all) checked and tightened the blanking plug in the manifold a bit more too! Noticed the gasket on the Downpipe to Turbo was leaking! Had no replacement, so cleaned it all up, and usked high temp gasket sealant all over the downpipe side and re fitted. Went for a drive and ..... Still bloody making a strange noise Now I really am worried it's the Turbo! It sounds like a screeching howl, louder than the induction noise but similar sort of noise?
Old 02 November 2003, 10:00 AM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Question

Just a thought, could it be the dumpvalve leaking? Forge VTA with blue spring. Might try the red stiff spring see if it makes a difference!
Old 02 November 2003, 01:52 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Pickle mate, get a replacement up-pipe gasket and fit it regardless.As i have said you wont be able to feel it leaking and the leak marks on the gasket when removed are not easily spotted.

The noise you have described i have had on my car and on another MY01 that had a replacement up-pipe fitted but the dealer re-used the old gasket and in 1 month it had blown and sounded horrific when on boost.
I would put money on the Turbo being fine as you have said the car was fine and all of a sudden it failled which unless you have had a major internal turbo failure, points to the gasket.
If the Turbo was so badly damaged you would hear the noise on low boost and not 1/2 boost and upwards.
They are known to be a weak link and getting the up-pipe seated correctly when fitting is essential otherwise the gasket will fail over time.

Zippy

Zippy
Old 02 November 2003, 03:22 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Right, I'm gonna get a new D/P gasket and Up-pipe gaskets and fit. I will get the D/P gasket from a main dealer, but where am I gonna source the Up-pipe gasket, as I'm sure its diff from the original! A more heavy duty one would be bonus!
Old 03 February 2012, 11:12 PM
budgie smuggler
Scooby Regular

Default downpipe gasket noise

Originally Posted by drb5
got a two poster at work to do the job meself anyhoo. didn't bother with re-newing the gasket on the dp, so i'm figuring i might just seal it all right up!!!

and hope

just an impatient booger, i am...thats all
What you going to seal it up with you not taking gasket off what's a good sealant.Want to do that myself you wouldn't know how easy it is to replace the gasket between downpipe and resonator would you.
Old 04 February 2012, 08:10 AM
scoobygaz1
Scooby Regular

Default re date

This is from 2003
Old 30 May 2012, 05:06 PM
poolio74
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by budgie smuggler
What you going to seal it up with you not taking gasket off what's a good sealant.Want to do that myself you wouldn't know how easy it is to replace the gasket between downpipe and resonator would you.
Tool
Old 09 June 2012, 12:15 PM
budgie smuggler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by poolio74
Tool
You got an answer to me question like you muppet i have recently done it.