Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Love my new Sport - but has it got piston slap!

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2003, 10:34 PM
roobydoo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Just purchased my shinny new Sport Wagon - much better than a 206 (they crap seats you know!). I've noticed however that in the mornings the engine is quite clattery but when warmed up after a couple of miles its OK. Is this normal? and should I be concerned?

Its clearly out of manufacturers warranty, but I do have a 12mnth warranty from the garage I bought it from what's my chances?

Scott
Old 22 October 2003, 08:21 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Suggest you get back to the garage a bit sharpish, as you never know how squirmish they may be at "getting out" of this repair. Dont selay in returning it as they may give numerous excuses and then play on the warranty cover given with it as "not including" this as it is "normally" titled as "wear" and not a "fail" item. But as you have only just purchased the car, then if nothing else, "not fit for the purpose intended" springs to mind.
Old 22 October 2003, 11:59 AM
mr smash
Scooby Regular

Talking

do search i did a thread on piston slap[poston slap]i mispelled iti think ull find its quite common my wrx has it theres also a thread with a downloadable sound file of a scoob with piston slap....the general opinion is that if it goes away when warm its ok.
Old 22 October 2003, 12:22 PM
roobydoo
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the advice guys, Its due its 45000ml service/cambelt soon I think get it checked out while I'm getting a quote from subaru dealer.

I am a bit over causious having been stung before when I bought my Rover 220 coupe - that had the death rattle. Did get a new engine out of the warranty but it was loads of hassle!
Old 22 October 2003, 12:28 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

The scooby dealer will simply agree its got piston slap, but will not take "on" if out of warranty, so that s why better to go back to the garage you bought it from. If they agree to get it fixed, you may then be able to suggest the dealer gets to sort it "properly" when it goes for its service. I'd prefer not to let it lie for too long otherwise it may cost you not the garage, afterall, what's a few words about it now to them going to cost?
Old 22 October 2003, 01:04 PM
roobydoo
Scooby Newbie

Good point.