Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Another Boost Question - sorry

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2003, 10:18 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is covered in a quite a few threads, but please believe me that I have searched but still confused about my boost problem.

First of all, I have a boost gauge in the car that shows that I am getting 0.5 bar. I am not sure if this is working correctly though.

I'm sort of thinking that a 98 WRX should be around 1 bar pressure and that my low boost may be down to a restrictor. I have searched for this but again I am still not sure.

I have a pipe that goes directly from the turbo outlet to the actuator/wastegate? and having read posts about the ECU regulating boost and how the pipes internal diameter dictates when the wastegate opens I am thinking now that I have a restrictor missing and that the ECU cant be involved with boost control.

Could this be the case, and could anyone post a pic to show what the hell I am looking for.

I will do virtually anything for this inforamtion - apart from that!! Steady!!
Old 20 October 2003, 10:28 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
If you have a pipe directly connected from the turbo outlet to the actuator this will be around 0.5bar, so your boost reading is prob right.

You should however have a solenoid in the line (sits on offside suspension strut area), this solenoid as you suggested contols the boost level (via ecu).

Sounds like someone has disconnected it, perhaps it had a MBC in line at some point?

Solenoid usually connects.. pipe from turbo goes to top pipe on solenoid, middle pipe on solenoid goes to actuator, (and if 3 port, think it's 2 on that year though), bottom goes to inlet (resonator area)
Old 20 October 2003, 10:34 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
That sounds like the base boost level of limp home mode. or a stuck boost control solenoid?

If yours is a 4 door WRX I think you will have a TD05 turbo, and should be getting around 1 bar boost. A wagon may be a TD04 and lower boost, circa 10 psi?
If not, some thing is wrong!

Check all hoses for tightness and splits, check the boost solenoid starts clicking when you raise the revs from tickover a little, if not clicking then clean the boost control solenoid with carb cleaner or brake cleaner ( it's the small brass cylinder on the o/s wing by the suspension turret, with 2 or 3 hoses on it - connect the 2 loose green plugs under the dash together to enter test mode, the solenoid will click a lot, pull off the 2 or 3 hoses and squirt the cleaner into the pipes - use a rag / kitchen towel to catch the solvent coming out! )

Then perhaps reset ECU and see how it drives.

Would be worth while trying another boost gauge and/or getting yours tested / calibrated? just in case it is all a poor reading on the gauge!

V
Old 20 October 2003, 10:36 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Cheers James!!

There is a selonoid looking thingy on the strut top area....and with no hose connected. I will have ago at sorting this mi thinks!!

Thanks again!
Old 23 October 2003, 10:26 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Sorted it now!!

Got it running 1 bar boost thanks to the guys at the scooby clinic in Derbyshire. Feels like another car and I dont feel so bad about selling the R6!!!

Thanks for all of your replies!!

Beef
Old 23 October 2003, 10:51 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Well done mate, glad it's sorted