Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Janspeed down pipe

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2003, 07:22 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Half way through fitting a janspeed (SCOOBYSPORTS)exhaust onto my STI 8. The original downpipe was removed and the new one fitted. The heat shealds round the turbo where modified to fit the new pipe but the two brake and clutch fluid pipes are running about 2" away from the down pipe with out any heat sheald protection. Will the heat cause any problems?
Old 14 October 2003, 07:27 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

it probably will..!!! so lag the downpipe with heat wrap, this also aids in keeping the underbonnet temps down..

Dan
Old 15 October 2003, 09:49 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Because our downpipe has no cat, it runs much cooler than the standard one. Put your finger over the end of a cycle pump and feel the heat build up as you pump, then feel the lack of heat without blocking the end. It works the same.

We have only lagged a few downpipes despite fitting well over 1000. They work perfectly without lagging and the radiant heat will not damage anything.

Old 15 October 2003, 10:18 AM
timmyjmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

Wink

soz to butt in but wots this lag stuff all about?
is it exhaust wrap?
i fitting a hks d/pipe at the weekend will this need exhaust wrapping?
Old 15 October 2003, 10:24 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

To my knowledge, exhaust wrap not only reduces under bonnet temperatures, but also makes the downpipe a bit less "tinkly". I know that's probably the most stupid word in the world to use, but it perfectly sums up the noise mine makes It's worse when cold, so all I do is turn up the tunes Wrapping makes no difference to the noise at the rear of the car, as far as I know.

Regards,

Ade.
Old 15 October 2003, 06:04 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for the feedback so far. Just fitted the rest of the exhaust, holy cow! Does this make a differance the the car! The sound is like a breathing beast. The performance on the standard car was good but this really is something else. Had it on a emissions test and it failed, but no mot for 3 years yet. The build quality of the exhaust is second to none and it comes in the same sections as the original unlike the Mongoose I was as considering. This is not a advert for Scoobysports just me sounding off.
Old 15 October 2003, 11:34 PM
mr smash
Scooby Regular

Cool

ordred mine last week guy said it wouldnt be till monday ,no news yet and cash is still in my account .....MAN I CANT WAIT;}.

Old 16 October 2003, 12:58 AM
wiggy
Scooby Regular

dont hold your breathe for monday m8
im not saying anymore till i get my one from them
Old 16 October 2003, 08:19 AM
scoobyexhausts
Scooby Regular

Smile

We have them in stock !!!
Old 16 October 2003, 11:19 AM
whiteyisback
Scooby Regular

fitted a full system (up/down pipe, centre and backbox) from Hayward and Scott and couldnt believe the difference it made to my new MY03 WRX, it breathes sooo much better now. Incidently H&S used to supply Scoobysport until a legal row blew up over non-payment thats why Scoobysport now use janspeed, prior to this they used H&S for years.
Old 16 October 2003, 12:35 PM
Andy Murdoch
Scooby Regular

FAO Compshack:- did your car fail the emission test with no cats fitted? Pete C reckons it will pass with the secondary Cat still in the system.

Good to hear you're impressed, I'm about to do the same to my STi7. Did you do the mod to control boost and also the electronic module to prevent the engine check light illuminating?

Also, did you fit it yourself and if so how easy a job is it and what had to be removed,Intercooler? Cats do run at very high temps thus cars always have a reflective heat shield fitted to the underfloor in the area of them.
Old 16 October 2003, 12:51 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

Wink

Andy,
The emmission test was done with no cats in the system, I think that if you replaced the centre cat it would pass the emmisions test. You don't want to be changing the downpipe if you can help it. I was not aware of the mod to control the boost or to stop the engine check light lighting up. That is to say that the light has not illuminated yet. I did not fit the exhaust myself, but I was there for most of the proceedure. Yes the intercooler was removed to gain access to the bolts at the top of the turbo/downpipe. The heat sheild from the original exhaust had to be modified to go over the new downpipe. Fitting the downpipe was the hardest job. Fitting the other parts where just a matter of unbolting the old and fitting on the new and all the parts fitted spot on. The mechanic took his time and in total it took about 8 hrs, 2 of which where to get the heat sheild to fit.