Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Now my forehead has stopped bleeding it's time to fit an exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2003, 08:23 PM
zastaph
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mod number 1, the obligatory 18ins rims, which today I have now kerbed twice. I'm gradually recovering, the tears have gone, I haven't beat my head against the pavement for the best part of 4 hours.

Having spoken to my therapist, Cheryl her name is, she assures me that to help with the flashbacks, I should go see Mr Zhorst.

This is where you chaps come in, sort of "group therapy" session shall we say.

Anyways, here's the deal, I got a MY00 Wagon (Classic). I'm gonna go buy myself a complete exhaust, (all 3 bits and the up-pipe an all).

Me finks me has narrowed my choice down to free;

The trusty ole Jan speed pipe from Scoobysport

Hayward & Scott's effort

Or the T75 from Power engineering

The obvious reason for changin this is performance and me reckons they're all gonna be much of a muchness, however my Scoob is also my daily run about, so I really dont fancy getting home from work and spending an hour in the decompression chamber having my ear drums sucked back out.

What do you reckon?

Also, how easy are these things to fit yourself? I've had a good ole buchers, and it don't look too bad getting the downpipe off the back of the turbo, the real trouble looks like removeing all the heat shield? The up pipe does look a nad on the fiddly side though, is it actually even worth changing it?

Any thoughts?

Old 27 September 2003, 06:45 PM
PhilA
Scooby Regular

Just fitted my backbox and centre pipe in 2/2.5 hours. You can't use the heatsheilds as your new exhaust will have a bigger bore and they probably won't fit. Your nuts and bolts may be rusted so give them a squirt with WD40. Other than that its no problem.
Old 27 September 2003, 07:46 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I kinda see that the bit looks easy, it's the down pipe that I'm concerned about.

No problems with losing the heat shields?
Old 27 September 2003, 08:24 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The downpipe can be a bit of a fiddle, the heatshield needs to be trimmed before you put it back, and yes, you do need to!!!
The rest of the system is a sinch, although on classics those that know reckon that the up-pipe doesn't give a vast advantage, so, I'd do the system first, and forget the up-pipe, well, thats exactly what I've got on my car, so I would say that!!!

oh, and the H&S system is just fine, I got tested at Castle Combe, not that long ago at 4500, and it measured 92 decibels!
Old 27 September 2003, 08:28 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nice one m8, I think I'd pretty much decided on the H&S sys anyways, just noise woz all I woz concerned about.
Old 27 September 2003, 08:35 PM
Leviathan
Scooby Regular

H&S is the buiseness and i agree with Ron about the up pipe, alot of pain for very little gain