Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Aluminium Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2003, 10:54 AM
GavinR96
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have just had a aluminium flywheel fitted with an uprated clutch and was looking for others who are using an aluminium flywheel ?
How are they finding it when pulling off from a standing start, changing gear, are they finding it a nightmare in traffic etc.
The type of aluminium flywheel I have had fitted can be seen at

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?ThreadID=133892

I would appreciate any info

Gavin

Old 25 September 2003, 11:46 AM
dead_neurons
Scooby Regular

hi there, I have a lightened flywheel and an STI Paddle racing clutch.
there's very very very little bite point on it probably about 1mm(!), its either on or off.
Smooth pull away is a thing of the past.
There's a very loud grinding/whirring noise when you try to pull away smoothly, and when its cold if you try a smooth start, it shakes and judders until you let it all the way out. 1st & 2nd are affected like this.
its unbelieveably harsh, and to say less than ideal for everyday driving is an understatement. I bought the car with this on 98MY S reg, White WRX Sti Type RA. with 37K miles, and as soon as i've enough money, i think it will be coming off, its just on the wrong side of unbearable. If i was on my own it wouldn't be a problem, but my scoob is also the 'family' (!) car.
Saying that, the fact there's no slipping point is good when you're launching , you can really feel that there's no give under acceleration, and if you let the clutch out all in one movement, (barring the thud when it kicks in) you dont get the whirring/judder even when cold.
Another down side, is when hill starting, you have to have 3000+ rpm to set off, otherwise it just bogs down and stalls, the stalling make you feel a prat and that revving engine power launch just makes you look like a lax power boy racer
I suppose it depends on what kind of uprated clutch you have, The STI Paddle clutch i believe is an out and out racing clutch , so not really meant for road use. If you have a 'fast road' clutch, you'll probably be ok.
I've only had the scoob 10 days now, and im just getting used to it where i can judge the hill starts with a moderate amount of revs and without stalling it. I've stalled it >12 times now trying my best not to look like boy racer! ('ve stopped counting LOL)

/2ob
Old 25 September 2003, 12:38 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

I tend to find these flywheels are purely for competition use, and not really suitable for continual stop/start in traffic, so you will experience these sort of problems. Perhaps the company fitting these were only interested in your money and not your specific needs by selling you such.
Old 25 September 2003, 02:44 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

If the friction face is also aluminium I doubt it will last very long on a road car.