Exhaust, turbo, 3 port solenoid questions

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2003, 09:26 PM
Des
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi

I will shortly begin the process of upgrading my car now that all the relevant bits have arrived. As part of the upgrade Im fitting a TD05 turbo, a 3 port solenoid and a turbo back exhaust which has a splitter for the exhaust gases at the point it connects to the turbo. With this in mind, Im hoping some of the more mechanically minded members of the board can help me out with the following:

1. With regards to fitting the turbo, are there any tools that will specifically make the job easier? I have heard that getting access to the turbo can involve loads of elbow grease so I was wondering if there were any tips (i.e. using a socket wrench of size X) that would make the job easier?

2. Does anyone have any pictures of their three port solenoid (as fitted) kicking about. Ive found a few mails on Scoobynet from which Ive managed to find out where each pipe is supposed to go, but I always find a nice picture helps things along.

3. With regards to fitting a turbo back system to the TD05, the downpipe connects to the turbo and uses a splitter to split the gases fed out from the turbo into the exhaust (which many of you will already be aware of). Do any of you have an idea of how far the splitter needs to be kept from the turbo i.e. how far you would need to grind back the actual splitter to prevent any interferance with the safe functioning of the turbo?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09 September 2003, 11:29 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

The splitter - depending on the DP you have - should be the right depht already. The VF series is the 'deeper' one - if it's a DP designed for a JDM it may well have the deeper splitter in which case it needs to be trimmed back - I think - 7mm, but you should really check elsewhere on that one!
Solenoid? My engine's a mess - you don't want to see that
As for getting the turbo out: patience! Things will be stuck/rusted, etc. Everything's 14mm on mine, but I suspect they vary... I use a mixture of sockets, though, as some of the bolts are very tight in there: a spanner gets about 20 degrees of travel, and most socket sets won't fit in the space! Only one nut needs to be undone from underneath (bottom of the DP).
Erm... the oil return pipe can be a bit of a sod! There's sort of a knack to getting the tube back on again (push gently against the kink!).
Nothing else springs to mind at the moment.
Dousing everything in some sort of nut-loosener when it's still warm seems to help a lot, although watching for melting fingers obviously. Letting them soak in the stuff for a few hours is a good thing too!
Old 10 September 2003, 07:15 PM
Des
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Nom.

Thanks for the input.

There is a depth marker on the splitter (exhaust is 3" APS system by the way) but this is apparently marked for the TD04. Ill keep hunting (maybe some other peeps will add more info to the thread).

Cheers