Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Reducing decated exhaust noise…

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2003, 11:32 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I know many of you have full decat exhausts and enjoy the extra burble melody from the boxer but…forgive me, I prefer a refined and distinctive sound from my car that wouldn’t upset the neighbors and doesn’t tire me on long journeys!
I am thinking about the full Scoobysport system but worry about the extra noise so I am looking ways to reduce it. I offered a second hand Prodrive/Scorpion back box from a friend’s WRX01 that I know is some db quieter but what about power loss as it has an “S” route for the exhaust gases internally compared with the SS that is straight through and well known for his performance gains?
Also how much noisier is the SS muffler compared with the Prodrive (for WRX03), I had in my MY00 the PPP back box with Magnex downpipe/middle section and I could say that it was perfect for my liking regarding noise levels!
First thought is to fit the full Scoobysport system and lag it with good quality heat wrap except the back box thus I’ll have goods from both worlds, high performance and “civilization” plus some more Bhps as the very hot gases escape faster from the system, could this be right or the noise reduction is negligible and can’t compared with my old car?
Has anyone measured or knows the db noise levels for the full SS system at idle and at say 3000rpms?
Any thoughts are welcome!
JIM
Old 26 August 2003, 11:44 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Big questions here are how much power are you trying to run through the system, and how quiet do you want it to be? Also, do you have any exhaust bits at all yet? (I like silent free-flowing exhaust myself, so have tried out lots of kit to try & get it )
Old 26 August 2003, 11:58 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

I'd like the power gains from a system like Scoobysport's and the noise levels from a full Magnex with Prodrive muffler as I mentioned above (example my old MY00) but there aren't available such exhausts, I know some companies overseas like TurboXS have full exhausts with cat and guarantee even 26,5 bhps gains at wheels but no one except APS mentions noise levels!
APS also told me that there aren't catted exhausts that can give you more than 20Bhp gains at the flywheel or they lie and try to fool you!
I have read some comparisons on magazines and the difference in db from the factory exhaust (87db if my memory serves me right) is huge thus my question what is happens in real world!
...I like silent free-flowing exhaust myself, so have tried out lots of kit to try & get it...
What is your verdict then? Or you want to keep it secret?
JIM

[Edited by JIM THEO - 8/27/2003 12:02:39 AM]
Old 27 August 2003, 12:18 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

I also prefer the car to be quieter and what i've done recently is to add another silencer just before the rear silencer, cost? Ł40 fitted.

I run a 3" system, the additional silencer is 3" bore but 3 1/2" box packed tightly with the usual material found inside them.

Where i stay can prove awkward, especially late at night or very early morning (work shifts) hence the need to reduce noise levels.

Difference now is that you can only here the car when you come into the cul-de-sac whereas before you could tell i was coming home approximately 2-300 yards away.
A lot more sociable inside the car as well without having to raise your voice to be heard over the exhaust note.

As a footnote, there has been no difference in power output (400+ BHP)doing this change as the pipework itself is still 3" bore.

Alan

[Edited by AlanG - 8/27/2003 12:27:03 AM]
Old 27 August 2003, 12:24 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Forgot to say my exhaust is a Revolution 3" exhaust and have ran this for about a couple of years.
Over time, it has got louder (expected), so took steps to reduce it. Also the quality of the exhaust i have is second to non (I bought it when it was first introduced) but i believe the quality may not be so good now as i recommended this company to John Banks.

He bought one and i've got to say, the quality of his is/was **** poor and i was disappointed after recommending them. Don't know if Revolution have changed suppliers or not but maybe other users of the system can give feedback?

Alan
Old 27 August 2003, 12:25 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
An alterantive is to use an original backbox with the full decat. Exhaust note is almost the same as original but a bit deeper and hardly any louder. That's what I run at the moment (whilst I wait fo rit to fall off ) Very stealthy too
Old 27 August 2003, 01:57 AM
NewAgeWRX
Scooby Regular

Hi Jim

What exact prodrive box does your friend have?

Reason I ask is that I have a WR Sport back box (oval tailpipe) and can tell you for sure that mine is definitely straight through. I too was worried about the power difference between WR sports and the SS one. I was going to get the SS one, but saw a used WR Sport on here at the right price so got that instead. I tested it by pushing a short piece of wire down the tubing end, got a torch and looked up the tailpipe end, sure enough the wire was there. There are no 'S' sections in mine.

Also the WR ones sound great, just nice enough without being OTT.
I think there will be very little difference if any between the WR and SS back boxes alone, but you will see a reasonable difference between a WR back box and a full SS system inc downpipe.

As a side note, im currently saving for a full PE T75 01 system with cat.

Hope this helps

Old 27 August 2003, 06:59 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

...I think there will be very little difference if any between the WR and SS back boxes alone, but you will see a reasonable difference between a WR back box and a full SS system inc downpipe...
That's why I am thinking of a good quality heat wrap for example Thermo-Tec to lag downpipe/middle sections, I just wonder if it worthwhile or just loose my time.
JIM
Old 27 August 2003, 10:40 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

My 'mix' (all 3") is a BPM downpipe (ceramic coated mild steel), Haywards 'custom' centre with a silencer in it, and a Haywards 'custom' backbox, which actually tapers to a 2.5" silencer (after the big main one) within the tailpipe. Quite extraordinarily quiet, given the flow capabilities (a very similar 400bhp to Alan's ).
For a slightly less esoteric collection, I can definitely recommend the APS system. I used this one for some time - it begins to struggle flowing aver 350bhp, though, which is why I changed, but it is made very well indeed and has a 'sporty note' but doesn't drone - all the ads for every exhaust seem to say this, but this is the only one that actually does. It is louder than my current set up (mainly, I think, courtesy of the BPM downpipe), but quieter than most other aftermarket. I'd put it as very similar to the PPP set up, but much more free flowing.