Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Induction Kit Fitted to Inner Arch???

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2003, 12:30 PM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Location: from the planet Omicron Persei 8. What is this emotion "Wuv" you puny Earthlings speak of ??
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi, I've got a 57i fitted to my Leg T, Its the same kit as fitted to the early Imprezas.

Has anyone fitted there induction kits to pipe work inside the wheel arch to keep the heat away from it?

At the moment Ive got a huge extractor tube mounted inside the arch and its ducting cool air up under the filter using the bottom of a drain pipe 90 deg exit. It works very well and is tidy considering its home grown.

I was thinking bout fitting the filter in the wheel arch and then using - say a Samco hose to go to the sensor and then another Samco to the turbo.

Has this been tried or am I a complete dick to even think it??

I know there are issues with the APS kits but I thought that was due to the maf being in the pipe some how.

Water and crap pick up are my concerns but Some sort of deflector could be made to protect the filter from direct ingress.

All comments and suggestions are welcome but be gentle eh!

Ste.
Old 20 August 2003, 01:02 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Yup, been done, and it screws up the MAF readings just like the APS kit does!
It was Stephen Done who documented it first AFAIK, and he found it screwed the air up enough that he then went on to work out how to reprogram the stock ECU which is how we ended up with EcuTek
Old 20 August 2003, 01:39 PM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Location: from the planet Omicron Persei 8. What is this emotion "Wuv" you puny Earthlings speak of ??
Thumbs up

Nom,
Thanks for the reply.

I take it them my only options are to make a box inside the engine bay or refit my panel filter and std housing/ pipe work if I want to keep induction temps down??

What about the force of air blown onto the 57i from my home made ducting? Can this have an effect on the maf.

I have a 110mm dia heavy duty air extractor pipe takeing air through the inner wing and then reduced down to approx 70mm dia using the out pipe from a household drain pipe.

At speed this thing must put a fair ammount of air accros the filter!

I'm learning here, not arguing - just incase the above is misunderstood.

Once again Thanks.

Ste
Old 20 August 2003, 02:47 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

I'm not expert on the ducting - I don't have a MAF, so don't suffer from these problems , but I do know that the problem with the APS kit (which I use) is not the quantity of ai it can flow is the problem, it's simply that the extra tubing that the APS uses to route the air means the flow across the cross section where the MAF is is different to 'standard', hence the MAF reads a significantly lower air flow than actual exists.

Anyway. Tubes feeding to the air inlet from outside won't have this effect, and I think the only bad thing they could do is bring water in! It would make sense to me to box the area in a bit, in a reflective material away from the heat, and then make sure that there is a good flow in and somewhere for 'unsed' air to flow from too, ensuring that there is always fresh air in the 'box'. Firing the tube directly at the filter might not be a good move - I'm certainly unconvinced it would help
Old 20 August 2003, 03:18 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The problem is the sharp angle just before the MAF sensor. The MAF sensor still sits in its original housing on the 99/00 APS induction kits.

With a MAF sensor inside a larger diameter pipe the effects are even more dramatic (you need to add 60+ % more fuel ).
Old 20 August 2003, 03:18 PM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks again Nom.

Best Regards,

Ste.
Old 20 August 2003, 03:43 PM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Wink

John,
please dont take my head off my shoulders for asking this but....

What if I was to mount the filter remotely to the engine bay
(wheel arch) and use the same dia. silicone hose as the the maf sensor housing and feed it to the standard maf location??

All I'm thinking is getting the filter out of the engine bay or keeping it cold.

I saw a lot of cars at totb with the filter mounted out of the engine bay (I think)

As before, I'm trying to learn not get into fights.

Cheers.

Ste.

Old 20 August 2003, 04:15 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not one to argue don't worry The problem is that you need a bend.. the bend upsets the flow through the MAF sensor.
Old 20 August 2003, 04:20 PM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Wink

John, thanks for the info.

So you make cars go quick, not war eh

I understand now what you mean.

I'll look into making up a box to keep the temps down in the existing position.

Cheers John and Nom for the help.

All the best.

Ste.
Old 20 August 2003, 05:41 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Having monitored induction temps for the past week, I would say there is a definit benefit. The other option is to run a cold feed pipe from the front bumper. I am toying with losing the fog lights on the legacy to do this (combined with brake ducting).

On average the underbonnet temps were +5ŗC on light cruise and more light +9ŗ when flat out up and down the gears below 100mph.

I would say, that on the older cars, the best solution is to replace the second resonator between the airbox and turbo, remove the resonator from the wing, and increase the inlet into the airbox possibly by fitting a trumpet of some sort (bass box vent tube springs to mind).

Paul
Old 20 August 2003, 10:19 PM
BAH
Scooby Regular

I have just tried This to see if it made any difference, car was very sluggish in the warm weather with the 57i so i thought i would try this and if it made no diference then consider going back to the airbox with a uprated panel filter, and still leave the resonator out.

Ste.w if you want to have a look at it i live in the Billingham area..

[Edited by BAH - 8/20/2003 10:21:00 PM]
Old 21 August 2003, 08:24 AM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Paul, Bah, Thanks for the info.

Paul, I'm going to keep the 57i for now but have retained the std kit just incase. I may use the 57i set up throughout the colder months and then refit the air box during the summer next year.

The 57i has already replaced the engine bay res and I already did the trumpet into airbox when I removed the inner wing res a while back.

My mate bought Flat4's Leg t a few months back. Flat4 had removed the front drivers side foggy and grafted in a collector pipe from guttering into the whole. It looks like it was meant to be there.
Good one Flat4

This then connects to standard household drainpipe tubes and ducts a smooth bore flow of air to his HKS mushroom.

I havnt removed my foggy yet am plannin that soon.

Also, Paul have you received my mail regarding roms? My pc has gone tets up at the minute and people arnt getting mail.

If your busy, no probs.

Bah.

I might just take you up on your offer mate.

I live out Guisboro way.

I cant open any hyperlinks yet cos I'm getting my works pc sorted for a virus type thing. Its technical you wouldnt understand

Reads .... Ste dont have a clue bout computers either.

I'll look at your clicky and then reply.

Cheers people.

Old 21 August 2003, 02:29 PM
Rich Curtis
Scooby Regular

When I bpught my legacy it already had fitted what was described as a ram charge box (or something like that).

It was a complete aftermarket moulded box that scooped air from the fog light hole and pretty much filled all the space in the inner wing, routing the air to the oem air filter box.

The bloke who I bought it off said it was a prodrive part - not sure if that was true or not but maybe worth a look to save making your own.

Rich
Old 21 August 2003, 02:45 PM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Rich, thanks mate.

I'll look into this, sound similar to Mikes (ex Flat4's) set up.

Thankyou please.

Ste.