Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Oil Change question....

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2003, 03:30 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know that questions about oil/oil changes are common but I have a query....

I've seent that a lot of folk recommend that
After you have fitted filter and filled up with oil, you should disconnect the crank sensor and wind the engine over until the oil pressure has built up then reconnect and start it.
Where/what is the crank sensor located on a MY00 UK car, also, how do I "wind the engine over".

Lastly, any recommendations on make/grade of oil would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Old 10 August 2003, 09:56 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Cheers greasemonkey, you're a gem!
Old 11 August 2003, 12:34 PM
GREEN SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

I had a service at the weekend and done the crank sensor thing and it took around maybe 30-40 seconds,was this all right?as a mate of mine said that it was alot of time having no oil pressure in the engine! is he right in saying this as i thought disconecting the sensor would put less stress on the engine than turning it over fully straight away.
Old 11 August 2003, 12:37 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
green scooby,
Was the filter filled before you cranked it? if not, thats why it took so long, if it takes a long time, you should do it in shorter stints, not one long one, It's much better to crank it to get pressure, that way there's no explosions putting tonnes of pressure on the big end bearings!!
Old 11 August 2003, 10:49 PM
GREEN SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

hi Ron. the filter was filled but maybe not as much as i had thought? but must have been more or less full up to the top and we did do it in steps instead of all in one go.all in it took around 30-40 secs but could have well been less as it was not timed at all and i am just guessing i suposse.I just wanted to see if it had been done properly and from the sounds of things it has.I phoned up roger clark motorsport and they told me the same as you have,so i guess thats a load of my mind ha ha. the thing that got me was when you do it the engine trys to start up but cant and makes a louder noise with the starter motor etc than i expected it too.

many thanks
Old 08 October 2003, 05:55 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Where/what is the crank sensor located on a MY00 UK car
It's right at the front of the engine, on top of the crankshaft. Look underneath the alternator, and behind the timing marks on the belt cover. You will see the crank sensor sticking up with its plug sticking out the side. Just disconnect the plug.

also, how do I "wind the engine over".
Er, difficult one this! Remove crank sensor plug, insert key in ignition switch, and turn key fully clockwise til starter motor engages

Keep the motor turning over for a good 15-20 seconds after the oil pressure light on the dash has gone out. Then reconnect the crank sensor and start her up.

Lastly, any recommendations on make/grade of oil would be much appreciated.
If it was me, it'd either be Mobil 1 15w/50 or Motul 300V 15w/50. There are other good ones though.

If you haven't read it, there's a good thread on oil changes (complete with a checklist for the procedure) here. The listy type thing is on page 2.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 8/10/2003 5:56:41 PM]