Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Whats the sound when your CV joint is on its way out?

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2003, 10:40 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

Just noticed over the last few days a noise coming front the front offside wheel on full left hand lock.

Its not a regular noise (i.e. does not correspond with position of the wheel), its a sort of slow random cracking type noise similar to one you make when crumpling up a crisp packet.

Does this sound like a CV joint to you or is it more likely related to the new disks and calipers I fitted a few weeks ago?

(I'm wondering if its just the disc moving on the slack of the studs as the wheel slowly turns).

Any ideas?

Cheers

Rich

Old 29 May 2003, 11:25 PM
Paul_H
Scooby Regular

A faulty CV joint can sound like a clicking or graunching noise on full lock. Does it disappear with less lock applied? Usually it's caused by the CV joint boot being knackered, losing grease and letting in grit from the road. Is there any grease on the boot?

It could also be the wheel bearing which will complain when loaded i.e. offside wheel bearing is loaded when turning left. Jack up the car, use an axle stand, spin the wheel listening for noise, check for play by rocking the wheel at 3 & 9, 6 & 12 o'clock.

The disk should not be loose! Check wheel nuts for tightness.
Old 29 May 2003, 11:41 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

richard, paul h is right. cv joints usually knock on full lock and it goes away in a straight line. if its a wheel bearing though, it will rumble continously and get louder the faster you go regardless of steering wheel position.

[Edited by Kippax - 5/29/2003 11:44:46 PM]
Old 29 May 2003, 11:57 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Thanks for replies -
Its definitely only on lock when it occurs but when the CV went on my old audi (long time ago when I could only afford bangers ) it would be a regular relatively loud clicking, occuring a fixed number of times per rotation of the wheel.

This seems to be a random 'crick' noise, quite quiet but can clearly be heard with the window open.

Its because it does not follow any regular pattern makes me think it may be something other than CV..

The boot is still intact, not sure how much grease in it though.

I'll check how tight the wheelnuts are tomorrow - just in case.

Cheers
Rich