Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

STI8 - PPP OR AFTERMARKET ROUTE??

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2003, 12:02 PM
BusterP
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an EC Spec STI8 (Type UK in all but badge) which is currently being run in.

Wondering whether to go the official PPP route or aftermarket tuning (have a 3yr warranty and tuning within reason doesn't invalidate).

Has anyone any suggestions or been in a similar dilemma???

Any advice gratefully received.
Old 21 May 2003, 01:48 PM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

I did mine without PPP but kept my warenttee because my supplying dealer did the work. If yours isnt so helpfull then PPP is definatley the way to go.
Old 21 May 2003, 01:51 PM
BusterP
Scooby Newbie

Gary - what mods did you do and how much?

Thanks
Old 21 May 2003, 02:51 PM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

It was all included in the price of the car ...... I payed £24,500 including the mods which were a full Trust exhaust system manifold back and a Trust induction kit.
If you but these parts seperatly i think they are about £750 - £800

Car sounds great, goes great and is great. Not sure how it compares to the PPP pack but its good for me. The day one of them comes past me is the day i go back to my dealer for more ummphh
Old 21 May 2003, 03:10 PM
BusterP
Scooby Newbie

Gary,

Sorry for all the questions, but a newbie to the scooby world.

Does the Trust system retain the cat and is it boomy when cruising? Also does the boost come in quicker?

I was considering the PPP route, but feel it could be achieved at half the price.

I want the boxer soundtrack to be enhanced, but want to keep it quiet on the Motorway.

Many thanks
Old 21 May 2003, 03:42 PM
Nick Wadeson
Scooby Regular

Buster

Please note that tuning your car in any manner outside fitting the PPP (even if it is ONLY an air filter ) will invalidate your warranty.

Thanks, Nick.
Old 21 May 2003, 03:47 PM
BusterP
Scooby Newbie

Nick,

Thanks for your concern but it wasn't supplied through the UK dealer network, and the Pan European warranty is pretty flexible especially if I return to the supplying dealer for the mods.

Old 21 May 2003, 04:33 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

If your car has an engine failure and it has a remapped ecu, Subaru (xxxxx) will not pay out and leave you with a bill for 5 or so k to fix
The pan euro warranty isnt as flexable as the Subaru UK warranty, so the only safe option is the PPP (fitted in country of origin) if you wish to retain your warranty.

Tony
Old 21 May 2003, 04:34 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I don't want to start a big debate over this, but I doubt very much that aftermarket mod's of as good or better quality than OEM subaru or prodrive approved mods would invalidate a warranty, JUST because they have been fitted.

Certainly not in the eyes of EU law.

To imply that fitting an aftermarket exhaust would invalidate a WHOLE warranty is highly misleading and innaccurate.

If it directly caused a failure of a specific part then maybe it would invalidate the warranty on that part but that rarely to my knowledge happens. Also, in such circumstances the onus of proof that an aftermarket non-approved part had caused a failure would fall upon the dealer, not the person who had bought the part they wanted.

Don't be allow scaremongering to stop you doing (at least) the sensible mod's to your car.

Mike.

Old 21 May 2003, 04:34 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Buster,
I would also see where Nick works

Tony
Old 21 May 2003, 04:38 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mike,
I think that most people know that if you remap an ecu, the parts directly attached are the ones that will also be invalidated (ie too much torque and your clutch and gearbox go due to it then those items are not covered).
The likes of exhausts i feel are more flexable, its possably only if the car is fully decat and running with a goo filled filter that you should be really worried (IMHO of course ) but its a risk that you take, if it blows then you have a large bill, if it doesnt then you dont

Tony
Old 21 May 2003, 04:42 PM
BusterP
Scooby Newbie

Only trying to get as much info as possible before parting with my hard earned.

Fully aware of Nicks credentials and appreciated his input, but seeing as I don't have a UK supplied car, I don't have a UK warranty.

The supplying dealer offers their own performance upgrades as well as the PPP and maintains warranty intregrity for both routes.

Keep it coming lads, all info gratefully received.
Old 22 May 2003, 09:44 AM
BusterP
Scooby Newbie

BTTT
Old 22 May 2003, 10:20 AM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

Buster,

Sorry i didnt get back to you yesterday.

My trust system comes with a single Cat rather than the 2 as standard. It has a 4 1/2 inch rear pipe, so it looks the part.
With the induction kit is makes all the right noises low down but when you cruise at around 80 you wouldnt know it was fitted.
I have had many people comment on it sounding gorgeous when sitting in traffic jams and me mate had a go in it while i stood and listened the other day. I would say it sounds a bit like a big jap bike. Made the hairs stand up on my neck anyway.
I bought my car and had the parts fitted by DH cars in Malmesbury and they have years and years of experience with Subaru. They wouldnt sell it or put it on if it was no good. They maintain my warrenttee for three years although if i took the car elsewhere i dont think i would get the same response.

As for the boost etc I really dont know but i am looking to put the car on the rolling road in the near future. Im not sure im getting as much as with PPP but it is more than enough for me to be honest. It makes all the right noises, looks the part and goes like a rocket. What more can you ask for ?????
Old 22 May 2003, 10:44 AM
BusterP
Scooby Newbie

Gary,

Thanks for the info - very useful.

I also purchased my car from David Hendry Cars. When I was collecting it a few weeks ago there was another WR Blue STI8 there for some work. It was fitted with a sports exhaust and sounded the absolutely dogs - very burbley when idling and pulling away. Was this your car by any chance????

Good to know it is quiet while cruising as it would really put me off if boomy on the motorway. Is the exhaust stainless??

Although I have an official dealer much closer to me I also feel it would be worth going back to DH for servicing etc in order to build up a rapport, which may help if there are any niggles in the future.
Old 22 May 2003, 10:52 AM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

Buster,

I have had mine for about 5 weeks now so it may have been mine. I have to say when i tested the standard car i was very dissapointed in the sound it made. It was nothing like i was expecting. That is why I went for the Trust system. The exhaust was put on from day one and the induction kit two weeks later. The induction kit takes a bit of getting used to but I love it now.
Although they have not put a car on a rolling road Andrew believes the car should now be good for around 300 BHP. I have seen nothing to disprove this I must admit. Like I said I will put the car on the rolling road soon and find the truth.

The only thing I would say is that when the exhaust is put on the yellow Cat light came on, on the dash. Andrew is sourcing me a unit to stop this happening. Basically the car is used to 2 Cats and when you reduce it to 1 it thinks something is wrong so the light comes on.

DH have been great to me so far and I will certainly be having my service work etc carried out there.
Old 22 May 2003, 12:19 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Please note that tuning your car in any manner outside fitting the PPP (even if it is ONLY an air filter ) will invalidate your warranty.
Nick

In previous posts you have said that a car sourced in say, Belgium, would have to return to Belgium to have a PPP fitted. I understand this is because the PPP breaches the pan european Subaru factory warranty and the importer then takes the warranty risk on board for any faults arising from fitting a PPP.

If a UK sourced car, with a PPP lost its gearbox in Spain, would the Spainish dealer refuse a warranty repair?

edit- damn my spelling

[Edited by Pete Croney - 5/22/2003 12:41:44 PM]
Old 22 May 2003, 02:03 PM
Nick Wadeson
Scooby Regular

If a UK sourced car, with a PPP lost its gearbox in Spain, would the Spainish dealer refuse a warranty repair?
Pete

As long as the PPP was fitted in the UK, they shouldn't because Subaru UK would be paying the Spanish to repair the car (in the same way that Subaru Benelux pay Subaru UK for repairs).

Nick.