Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Higher torque centre diff in Legacy Est?

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2003, 05:12 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I keep thinking that my car seems rather tail happy if I provoke it. I could quite easily donut it in the dry if I lanched rapidly with some lock on, and have tail slid the car out of junctions when in a hurry (semi deliberately).

In the wet i can provoke power oversteer in 1st gear no problem, and just in 2nd if on boost.

SO, i am wondering if the Legacy box has a different centre diff, uprated over the normal impreza turbo one. I've heard this mentioned once before in a thread, but didn't believe it.

can anyone confirm or deny?

Paul
Old 16 May 2003, 08:21 PM
DuncanG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paul,
I've heard that all Subaru wagons both Impreza and Legacies have rear biased torque split (33/67 or 40/60 I'm not sure). I know for a fact that my 2nd gen Legacy GT wagon has a rear bias 'cause I've a RR printout with separate front/rear power curves to prove it.

My Impreza wagon could also be a bit tail happy in the way you describe so I think its a wagon / saloon issue rather than Imp / Leggy issue.

Duncan

[Edited by DuncanG - 5/16/2003 8:26:04 PM]
Old 17 May 2003, 02:38 AM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Ive never felt that way about my car. Oversteer can be provoked, but very rarely power oversteer. Only by letting off, or throwing it into a corner, usually in the wet. In the dry its understeer nearly all the time. Dry trackdays are boring, wet trackdays can be fun though. I also changed the rear anti-rollbar for a saloon car one, which is stiffer, to try and loosen the rear a bit.
Any slight tendancies it may have to oversteer, are due to the extra weight getting thrown about at the rear of the car I think.
There was no noticeable change on my car, even after I changed the box for a UK impreza one, after mine had a disagreement with a 6Krpm launch.
Do you have the same tyres all round, as this can make HUGE difference.
Old 17 May 2003, 10:06 AM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Paul, do you know what suspension Geometry your running? Or what about tyre pressures?

Two reasons I say this, my old suspension set up (on a UK Impreza saloon) - with about 1 degree each side negative on the rear 1.5 each side on the front and 7 mins toe in each side front, 5 mins toe in each side rear - was very power oversteer biased...in any gear except 5th!

On the tyre front with too low or too high pressures at the rear it does want to move around a fair bit!

Anyway I'm not surprised it will oversteer with lock on from a launch

Old 17 May 2003, 10:25 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tim,

I don't know the geometry off hand, something like 1.2' neg camber front and 40 toe in (is that thou or minutes? done at Leda).

Anyway, if I do give it some when pulling away from a junction, the front inside wheel doesn't spin.

Same tyres all round, Kumho 712, 33psi I think, might have set the rear at 31psi, was a few months ago that I checked.

Paul