Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

URGENT- been offered an STi engine and need to know if it will fit?

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2003, 11:50 AM
jongould-work
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got an STi V3 engine offered to me, will this fit in a MY93 WRX? Its a complete engine, everything on it. it is a redtop and its complete.

also, whats this engine worth??
Old 14 May 2003, 12:05 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes and no.

You could use the engine less the inlet manifold and it's a straight swap.

You could then use the inlet manifold with a front entry turbo (yours modified would be ideal) and the asscociated plumbing that comes with the manifold. You would also need to redo some wiring for the throttle position sensor, and add an idle switch on the throttle body somewhere.

I would expect to pay no more than £1500 for an engine without turbo, maybe a little more with.

Also worth noting the Sti3 has the wildest cams of any standard impreza, so there may be some gains there.

Paul
Old 14 May 2003, 01:16 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

STI 3 cams certainly are pretty impressive when compared to other OE cams. They actually look moderately tame compared to others at first, until you measure the base circle difference.
Old 14 May 2003, 01:49 PM
jongould-work
Scooby Regular

i have paid £1600 for an engine with turbo and intercooler and all ancilleries bar PAS pump. If i have got the turbo then i dont need to adapt one? (obviously, i am a ********)

so will it need any major work to make it fir? any silly wires e.t.c?
Old 14 May 2003, 02:10 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a nice deal.

You will need to rig a microswitch for the idle switching as the v3-> don't have a dedicated switch, although this won't stop you running. I have the details on how to wire in the new throttle position sensor, you might get away with using the Sti engine loom, but your own loom can be easily swapped.

The turbo will be fine, just slightly limited in ultimate power compared to the td05.

Intercooler is better, and you might want to think about a newer bonnet, grill and lights to make the most of it, although you might be able to do something with the vent in the meantime.

You will need to alter the boost control, so either a dawes device, electronic boost controller, or remap standard ECU.

I will sort out a diagram for the TP sensor, as this is something i have to do for myself. Will email you further details.

you got a good deal IMHO.

Paul
Old 14 May 2003, 04:30 PM
jongould-work
Scooby Regular

so, i can reuse my standard loom. can i reuse my throttle position switch of my WRX (read:legacy) engine? so it should go in with a scoobyECU, a TPS and thats it?
Old 14 May 2003, 05:31 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

The STI V3 should have an IHI VF23 as standard, and this seems to be one of the better standard IHI turbos. If you can use the STI3 manifold, you will benefit from 440cc injectors and the front entry roller bearing turbo rather than 380cc and 90 degree sleeve bearing turbo.

The VF23 isn't a bad turbo, especially if you are running sane levels of boost. A few years ago, an STI3 made 346bhp/300ftlb on PE's rollers with everything standard except for an exhaust, airfilter and a (cough) phase one ecu remap running ~1.4bar peak boost.

There are, of course, many different turbos available out there, I am merely pointing out that, for the time being at least, the IHI VF23 isn't the worst turbo you could run on that engine with it's standard internals (with it's standard funky cams), especially considering that you already own it and that it will be more trouble to change to another one than to leave it as it is.

Moray