Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

OilCooler

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2003, 05:15 PM
Creepy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just installed an oil cooler on my MY01.
The main reason for this is track driving.
It is a very effective mod : the temp of the oil dropped with 15° Celcius when driving flat out...

But here is the question : What about the heat exchanger that is originnaly installed, should I keep it or disconnect it ?
Because now the oil is cooled with two different systems : the exchanger and the cooler itself...

Creepy...
Old 10 May 2003, 06:43 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Creepy, Leave it on, can't do any harm. BUT, the bigger problem you have is after an oil change. Firstly you'll have to take the cooler off to drain it get the old dirty oil out and then flush it with something to get the dregs out [ Petrol or similar] AND dry it. Then you'll have to refill it with fresh whatever brand oil and refit it.

The problem you're trying to avoid/ overcome is the delay after spin up of the oil reaching everywhere it should and with most cooler rads holding towards a litre you have to fill it before you can pressurise it. Thus it is important to fill the oil filter and fill the oil cooler rad, then disconnect the ignition module, N/S cam bank near to the battery behind the upper cam wheel, before turning the engine. After 20 seconds of spinning with the oil pressure warning light having gone out dare you reconnect the ignition and start the engine.

Ignore this simple safety tip at your peril and you'll need someone to give you my phone number to rebuild the engine. Mods won't let me do it......

Take care, good luck David API Engines
Old 10 May 2003, 06:58 PM
Creepy
Scooby Regular

Hmm... I find this a rather strange thing because I have an original STI oilcooler, the same as installed in the S202.
And there was no warning about that.
Also, a friend of mine has one for almost 2 years now, without any probs.

The only thing I was asking myself was that now, with the two cooling devices, the oil wont reach working temperature in winter conditions...
Old 10 May 2003, 07:41 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Tape them over with racers tape like racers do. Just follow the logic of the oil pressure/cooler thing. So you've got away with it, well done!! It's not written down anywhere official to run imports on 100 octane either, keeps me in business, GREAT !!

David
Old 11 May 2003, 05:20 PM
Sir_Xenon
Scooby Newbie

Most external oil coolers come with a thermostatic valve such as this one:

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/mocal.htm

That only open at high enough temperatures. So you don't have to worry about startup as no oil should be flowing in the oil cooler when cool anyway, it's not good for the oil or the engine.

SX