New Head Gaskets or Heads???

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2003, 06:59 AM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Folks,

Without taking the engine apart I know this is hard to identify but...

I have a MY95 WRX with a closed deck block. I know there is CO in my coolant suggsting a leak somewhere internally. There is also corrosion on one sparkplug on each side.

After a severe overheating problem is it likely that just the gaskets are blown, or both gaskets perished and head(s) cracked???

I am just thrying to ascertain how big the repair bill will be. Also pleased advise if I am correct in assuming that the following are tell tale signs of a knackered thermostat:

1. Heater blowing cold when dial is position to hot
2. Cool bottom hose after journey
3. Hunting at idle (think this was sugeested on a previous post)

Can I test this by just removing the thermostat and running the car for predetermined distance?

Cheers in advance for your advice,

Kevin
Old 09 May 2003, 11:48 AM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Wink

Hi had the same problem a couple of months back, mine would release water from the exhaust (drips)also the heater would blow cold air and sometimes warm. I had tests carried out by GGR.They suggested head ot gasket failure.Best to check all pipes for splits or leaks, thermostat, air locks etc. Eventually i remove the pair of heads had them pressure tested, skimmed and then put them back on to the correct torque sequence hence no problems since then, but it was stressing at the time hope u get it sorted.
Old 09 May 2003, 12:06 PM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

ticky,

cheers for the advice, i know its gonna need headwork eventually - but i hope to prove the root cause was/is the thermostat. i had to take the car home from TSL last night (approx 30 miles) and it was obviously overheating, but by the time i got home several pitstops later, it was running smoothly under load and not smoking/steaming. i will remove the thermostat tonight and run it to see if it still over heats.

cheers,

Kev