Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Quaife front diff for MY02 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2003, 03:06 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone have any experience of these? Not happy with having an open front diff, esp when my power gets above 300 and I hear the Quaife is very progressive, and transforms the car.

Ed
Old 08 May 2003, 06:30 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

If it's anything like the one available for the classics, it does transform the car....but I wouldn't call it progressive

You'll need to relearn to drive it but it sucks you through a corner and spits you out (sideways, if you're not careful) the other side.

If you're into track work there are some downsides - but I still miss mine at the moment, even on track (I killed my gearbox and am running with an open diff currently).

Richard
Old 08 May 2003, 07:39 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Thanks.

Nah mostly fast b-roads, although I can feel myself getting more addicted to trackdays.

What are the downsides IYO?
Old 09 May 2003, 06:57 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Downside relates to bad driving If you're too fast at the entry of the corner, the front starts to drift (obviously ) - wot at this point cause both tyres to drift more....means you must frustratingly wait on a trailing throttle until things are under control.

While the same thing can happen with an open diff too - it's more frustrating knowing that if you'd been a little slower on entry you wouldn't have lost the 'suck and spit' effect through and out of the corner.

To be honest, I was only running -2 degrees front camber at the time - I'm now on -4 at the front and entry speed errors are much easier to handle. Can't wait to try with the Quaife again.

This should never become an issue on the road, unless you're completely nuts....

Richard