Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

A manual gearbox put into a Automatic Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2003, 03:04 PM
bodie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HI can anyone tell me the problems of fitting a Manual gearbox into a Automaic WRX my95 Jap import thanks
Old 08 May 2003, 04:22 PM
RT
Scooby Regular

Usu biggest problem is welding the mounting points for the clutch pedal...
Old 08 May 2003, 04:58 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Get all the bits from the car, and mechanically it is quite easy although it will take some time to do, and some hassle.
Pedal assembly is a little awkward to change, but not too bad.
You will need Propshaft, box and cradle, starter motor, gear linkage, and internal trim parts for gear stick, All clutch related parts, from flywheel, clutch, slave/master cylinders etc.

There is an ignition key lock that will need to be altered, that stops key removal unless the selector is in park. There is a small solenoid on the side of the ign barrel. Remove or break it off, and the key will be free to remove as per a normal car.
The speedo sender is different, and will need wired up to the ecu from the manual box. You will also need to sort out a reversing light switch and link out the park/neutral wires to allow the starter to work.
There may also be issues regarding idle speed. On the car I done, this did correct itself through time, but for a very long time it would idle at 1500rpm, and I had no idea how to fix it ( MY00 car )

A final note....it is in no way worth doing the conversion. It would be so much easier, and cost effective, and less hassle just to buy a manual car. Although I did this job with a friend, on a car, it was a job for a customer, and it paid well, otherwise we wouldnt have touched it. Im surprised the owner even wanted it done, considering the costs involved.