Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Sti 7 FMIC

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2003, 10:07 AM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone have any info/knowledge on fitting a FMIC to a Prodrive Sti 7. Not sure if I should go HKS, Pace or other. Looking for details on what is required to fit one. Ie; Do I need to cut out the black in-fill section from below the number plate, etc. Right now the mesh in the lower front air vent area is set quite far back and I'm trying to find out if this area is then filled with the FMIC? Don't want the front of the car to look heavy and completely full of inter-cooler. Rather it to be a bit stealthy and look like a proper job, not like an after market DIY job, that every ones eye is drawn too!

Appreciate any help or expertise out there.
Jools
Old 26 April 2003, 10:19 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Hi Jools.I have an APS one for my STi7 waiting to be fitted.HKS nor Pace make one specifically for the 7.MRT do but that involves cutting the crossmember,the APS one only involves cutting the inside of the bumper.I have seen it fitted on Jonnos car and it looks very good.You can put a nice mesh grill over it if you ever remove it to sell the car.If you have a fax number I can fax you the instruction sheets so you can get a better picture.Note though that the instructions are from the previous model that was more complicated to fit,I'm still waiting for my proper ones.
Old 26 April 2003, 10:44 AM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Deep Singh

Excellent info. I'm offshore Denmark right now, but the fax come through the Aberdeen office on 01224 786775. I spoke with PowerStation this morning about this and they mentioned HKS, but mentioned a fair bit of trimming and cutting. I'll be at PS next Friday getting other bits & pieces done, so I'm considering getting a few mods done as once, due to the distance I have to travel down. Is the APS pipe work aluminium or hose?

Many Thanks,
Jools

[Edited by Jools - 4/26/2003 10:45:18 AM]
Old 26 April 2003, 12:08 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Can I have one of your STI7 TMIC when you put yor FMIC on please...!!!! (actully of both of you do it I have a home for the other too.!!!!
Old 26 April 2003, 03:05 PM
Hyperflow
Former Sponsor

Look here..

Kit comes with air intake and pre-fabricated bar support panel..no metal cutting installation..

http://www.hyperflow.com.au/prod-01fmic.htm

Kevin

hmmm..might have to cut and paste link to get it to work..

[Edited by Hyperflow Intercoolers - 4/26/2003 3:07:32 PM]

[Edited by Hyperflow Intercoolers - 4/26/2003 3:20:17 PM]
Old 26 April 2003, 05:53 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Jools, things may have changed but when I looked into it in some depth a few months ago HKS did not make one SPECIFICALLY for the MY01.Some companies offered to get a HKS core make some pipes to fit and do it that way.This will mean major surgery to the car as the core is not made specifically for the MY01.Also you may well be the guinea pig,ask PS if they have actually fitted one to a MY01 before,if they hav'nt I'd think again.I did'nt want to be a guinea pig so I waited until someone I know(sorry Jonno!) fitted it to their car and I checked it out.
The system I have is solid pipes.You can check it out on www.airpowersystems.com.au
I did'nt quite understand if you wanted me to fax it through to you on that number or not.
Old 26 April 2003, 05:54 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sorry Fizz,I'll be keeping the tmic for when I put the car back to standard.Have you tried a Scooby breakers?
Old 26 April 2003, 10:22 PM
Callum Ferguson
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Jools,
If you get the chance take a trip to Brian Downie's during the next week, my STi 7 is back for one or two tweeks and he has already fitted an APS D/R 500 FMIC on it's last visit. The job he did is first class and it looks like it grew there. Pipework is a combination of solid and silicone.
Please let me know if I can provide any further help.
Callum
Old 26 April 2003, 11:44 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Tried breakers all over.. no luck there.... Just keep plugging away!!!
Old 27 April 2003, 12:43 AM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Talking

Many thanks for the feedback from every one above. I have looked at the APS web side and it looks like very good kit indeed

Callum; I have heard about you car and some of what you were up to through Brian and BKS I did intend to try and track you down when I got home this time. I should get home early Wed afternoon and I’ll be over the road by tea time to have a look see. It is a Prodrive model you have as the web sire only shows the standard model? And I guess you have gone the APS way on the induction side as well. Is that OK on the Sti? I had bad experiences with induction kits on my modded MY99, having tried both K&N and Pipercross systems After 4 mass airflow sensors I gave up and went back to OEM.

Did Brian source the APS kit for you or did you get it yourself.

Deep; Got the info from the website.
Fizz; Sorry I be keeping mine too.

Regards for now,
Jools
Old 27 April 2003, 07:41 AM
Callum Ferguson
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Jools,
My car is a Prodrive model & will certainly be at Brian's on Wednesday so you are welcome to go look if it's OK with Brian.

I have gone with the APS intake kit as I had no option at the time. I am sure this will all work perfectly well once it has been back to visit John However, I had a Roger Clark Motorsport induction kit on the car that I really like and I will eventually go back to this. The trumpet and K&N just would not go back with the hard APS pipework in place. RCM are currently working on fabricating a new trumpet but it will take them a little time
The RCM kit worked perfectly well with no MAF problems so far

I didn't source my APS kit through Brian but when I bought it I knew nothing about his business; if I were to do it again now I would just let Brian source the parts as his prices are very reasonable.

One small word of warning! Do not believe the optimistic fitting time estimation on the APS website

Regards,
Callum
Old 27 April 2003, 08:34 AM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Callum,
Sounds great. I need to call the Dr and get some advice on what I can do with the induction side. I have the early PPP fitted (piggyback type) so not sure what I can do with regard to changing things. I know this much if I were to start again I would go the same way as my m8, who has also been to the Dr. I saw John at Star several months ago when I had my 7 on the rollers for the first time to check out the PPP...and make sure it did what I said on the tin We need to meet up with you some time when your car is on the road. There are a group of us out Inverurie way, 3 of us with Sti 7's in varying degrees of mods.
Catch you later,
Jools

Old 27 April 2003, 09:35 AM
Callum Ferguson
Scooby Regular

Jools,
Would be good to meet up I went the Ecutek / Milltek route like your m8, this was partly on the advice of Jim at Star as your cars had just been on the dyno a few days before mine was there for the same purpose

On the induction side it would be good to speak to John, particularly regarding any remap that may be required. RCM & Samco are working on the hardware. Samco have an inlet pipe to work with the VF35 and have been working with RCM on a second inlet pipe to suit a slightly larger turbo inlet They now also have a piece being made to replace the concertina section between the MAF sensor housing & the OEM inlet pipe just to smooth things out a little

Regards,
Callum
Old 27 April 2003, 04:17 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Callum.Have you had the car remapped since the fmic was fitted,if so any difference with that alone? Or are you waiting 'to do other things'
Old 27 April 2003, 05:15 PM
Callum Ferguson
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Deep,

Hope you're doing OK.

Unfortunately I am too impatient to just get one thing done at a time The FMIC is complete but Brian is about to fit Ion exhaust bits and an SX regulator this week. After this, John willing, it is back for a short mapping session

Sorry I cannot quantify the difference of the FM on it's own.

Regards,
Callum

Old 28 April 2003, 08:46 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Callum.Yes I thought you would have bigger plans.I d'ont suppose you still have the templates from the fmic? Mine did'nt come in the box and will take months to arrive from Australia.I know its asking alot but is there any chance you could mail them to me and I guarantee I will mail them back along with money to cover your postage.
Old 28 April 2003, 09:46 PM
BKS 6
Scooby Regular

Saw your car at Brian,s tonight looks WICKED! Jools you will like the look front on
Cheers Brian
Old 28 April 2003, 10:54 PM
Callum Ferguson
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Deep,

I'm afraid that I did not have the templates supplied either, Brian just had to guess but he guessed well - maybe my bill will include " Essential purchase of bulk pack Nurofen" Can Chris at G Force not help? He seems like a really decent bloke so could be worth a call. David at APS is also very helpful if Chris does not have them to hand.

BKS 6

Pleased you like the car Brian BD has done some good work there. I can see the time coming soon when I will have to lie & tell everyone his work is awful just so that I can get my car booked in } Hope we can meet soon, maybe after Jools gets back?

Regards,
Callum
Old 29 April 2003, 10:57 AM
BKS 6
Scooby Regular

Yes big STI 7 meet out in the sticks
Old 29 April 2003, 01:56 PM
Callum Ferguson
Scooby Regular

Talking

Old 29 April 2003, 08:21 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks Callum,I'll try as you suggested.