Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Wheel bearing failure caused by trackdays

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2003, 12:44 AM
hmhaga
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Last week, I noticed a clicking sound from the front left wheel when turning right. It didn't sound very serious, so I quickly categorized it as "no cause of concern". I shouldn't have - the sound quickly changed to a loud scream when cornering. I removed the whole hub/knuckle assembly and handed it over to my local garage to have them replace the bearings. A few hours later they called me to tell that the bearing had seized and damaged the spindle! £££

The front left lower balljoint was also badly worn.

Conclusion: Listen to your WRX when it talks to you It needs special attention when used on trackdays.
Old 27 April 2003, 12:17 AM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

I buggered a rear bearing on a trackday but spinning the car 180 degrees in the dry may not have helped I ignored the noise because I had just fitted some new rear brake pads and thought it was them bedding in
Old 27 April 2003, 05:03 AM
AJKS
Scooby Regular

Yep - I destroyed the 2 front bearings when I was still running the original (read small) MY98 front disks. Basically, a lot of heat was getting into the bearing assembly (smaller discs = less iron volume to dissipate the heat over) which still had the original grease in it. Suffice to say, I now run larger discs (was thinking of using 2 piece discs but decided against it), removed the backing plates, packed the new bearings with Castrol HTB (high temp bearing grease) and (when I pull my finger out) will fit some brake ducting down there...

Adam