Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

ECUTEK / Superchip Whats all the fuss?

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2003, 09:25 PM
MickyC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lads,

Am wanting to get my motor chipped, have just had the full decat treatment, and have to say I am a little dubious about superchips only because I have heard the odd nightmare story about them on this site?

I used to have a Vectra GSI (no laughing!) that was superchipped, and it turned a very ordinary car into a decent car with noticeable power gains, and much more noticeable low down torque + better fuel economy.

So, ECUTEK, somebody must have had a bad experience with them, I mean shxt happens, and things never go right all of the time?

I dont understand what harm a superchip could do to your engine that lets say ANY other remap would not be able to cause, at the end of the day you are messing around with the cars brain, need I say more.

I just wondered what the general concesus was before I went out and spent my £500.

ps if you look at the superchips website the power gains look to be equivalent to those of an ECUTEK, so just what is the difference?

As always all help is massively appreciated

Cheers Lads

Micky
Old 23 April 2003, 09:34 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A Superchip on a Scooby is not a remap. I also showed a circuit on here how you could build a better version for less than a fiver if you are handy with a soldering iron.

Do a more detailed search on here for the technical reasons why a Superchip is a bad idea on a Scooby. I am told the newest versions actually have an overboost fuel cut in place, but the old ones did not so that the boost could go sky high - the ECU would not know and would not do anything about it before the turbo or engine let go.

The difference between "chipping" a NA and a turbo motor is massive. A lot of chippers are lazy and just turn the boost up. However, detonation rapidly destroys turbo motors in particular.

Have a read up on Dawes devices as well.

My interest in this BTW is that I map using Ecutek.
Old 23 April 2003, 09:42 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Wink

Micky

As God has pointed out above a Superchip is boost clamp that does nothing to alter fuel or timing. Hence the engine goes lean then goes bang.

An ECUTEK remap alters all of the above and if custom done to the spec of the car (TEK3), can be mapped as safely or as close to the edge as you'd like.

Hence I have TEK3 by Bob Rawle.

Nathan..
Old 23 April 2003, 09:48 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I believe that Superchips are custom remaps on certain cars. However, it is true that the Scooby superchip is just a crude boost clamp.
Old 23 April 2003, 10:01 PM
MickyC
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that guys,

So my 99V 5 door turbo would need a specific ECUTEK.

I understand a little clearer now.

Please forgive me but I am new to owning a subaru, and as such am interested in all aspects of getting the most out of my pride and joy, but also having it done correctly!

So is it as simple as finding an authorised ECUTEK dealer? near to newcastle and booking my car in to be sorted then?

Thanks

Michael
Old 23 April 2003, 10:19 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

micky,

Send Dr. Banks 500 squid, in return he'll send u a remapped ECU and you'll not stop smiling for a ling time..trust me!

http://www.johnbanks.dsl.pipex.com/

BTW i'm not on comission, just in respect to good value mods

Sean
Old 23 April 2003, 10:29 PM
MickyC
Scooby Regular

ah you see, you all forgot one thing, i am about as technical as a fish!

i have nothing more on my car than a full decat, just plain and simple.

i would need to take my car down to scotland for the remap (which is always a nice run)

i will e-mail the man himself and see what he says!

cheers

michael
Old 23 April 2003, 10:36 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

What Sean is referring to is a TEK 2 or TEK 2.5 map. This is an ECU map created to be a universal fit.

If you were wanting to drive to Scotland you could get a TEK 3 which is a custom map to suit you car. A TEK 3 map will be done whilst you drive the car and will be the best way to get the most out of your mods.

Whichever you go for it will be a massive imporvement over standard but the TEK3 has edge as it's custom mapped. Better to get TEK3 now than get TEK2 then want more and have to spend the moeny again IMHO.

www.ecutek.co.uk
Old 23 April 2003, 10:40 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Wink

moeny
What the **** is moeny
Old 23 April 2003, 10:41 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

hey nathan,

i disagree, i think a JB Tek2.5 is all that is needed for now for Micky, he's only got a new exhaust, not much scope for taking advantage of a Tek3. My thoughts are this is needed after a new turbo or IC, but that's just my opinion

If i ever fit a new turbo or IC, i'll be up to scotland as soon as the good doctor could fit me in.

My advise is save yourself 150 initially and just get the Tek2.5 by post, and if you go further pay the extra for the Tek3

Sean
Old 23 April 2003, 10:48 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Fair point.

But if Mickys driving to Scotland anyway ?

I've heard of TEK2 MY01's get 275 bhp but I've seen TEK3's get over 290 bhp at Power Engineering.

Like I said whichever he gets it will be a big improvement. Maybe I'm just too wrapped up in my TEK3.

Nathan..
Old 23 April 2003, 10:55 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

aah interesing..so u have a Tek3 eh!

well 290 at PE could mean 290 or could mean slightly less......

My standard RB5 with a T75 made 256 at PE..which is a bit unrealistic..comments welcome of course!

Maybe JB could comment on what the benefits of his Tek3 map over the Tek2.5 over a slightly modded UK Turbo would be.

On a personal note, I was soooooooo close to Tek3 map 1 week after receiving the JB 2.5, as i discovered the great TD05 from Mark A. Unfortunately 6 points the previous weekend stopped the mod...****!
Old 23 April 2003, 11:02 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Wink

Couldn't agree more about P.E. Rollers

I'm considerng a TD05 and FMIC with 550 injectors from Mark A or I may just give it up and get a JDM STI 8/9

Lol

This was the car I wasn't going to spend any money on
Old 23 April 2003, 11:03 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I've not had any detonation problems with the postal maps I've sent out because it is tuned conservatively after seeing the lowest common denominator across many cars.

Recently I went back to T-uk's car which was one of the very early cars (and which heavily influenced the "postal" map which I start with when I custom map a decat MY99/00 UK) I did to see if anything extra could be got from it after we'd put a fuel pump on. Couldn't get anything much out of it without it detting, yet it had not tickled his knocklink all through last summer including track days (and he drives like a total loon ).

On another car where the owner felt it was a little flat I could add 4 degrees in places to the map and this made it a lot perkier. These are the two extremes.

Depends on the car - both were very similar spec, and both felt similar once optimised.

You could be lucky and find that a standard map is pretty close on your car or there could be a bit more to come from custom mapping.

[Edited by john banks - 4/23/2003 11:05:37 PM]
Old 23 April 2003, 11:11 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

nathan,

Understand compleyely. I come from a bmw 1st car and caterham track car background, so I know all about trying to reduce spend on cars.

My solution was to sell the M3 and Cat, and buy the Rb5. So what happened in the following 3 months, I spend close to 5k...magnificent cost saving..not!

But I have so much more fun driving the car day to day, I'll soon know how well it does on the track.

As for JB's comments, I appreciate the need for a conservative map. So what would be the max you could extract from a UK Turbo 99/00 with a Tek3 with just a decat ? Significantly more than a Tek2.5 ?

Sean
Old 23 April 2003, 11:20 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

On some cars a bit more timing will give great dividends and you can go apparently quite silly and it just keeps getting quicker and quicker On these 20 BHP is easily possible they just lap it up. Others seem reluctant. Some seem to go well as I say with not very much timing at all and that is all they take. The figures you get on rollers vary wildly and IMHO inaccurately. One of my happiest customers has results that sound rather naff from the rollers, but then they were from Powerstation and compared to others from there rather good. I've had some great results at Star from some cars which seemed average, and much less pleasing results from others which seemed to go really well.
Old 23 April 2003, 11:31 PM
midlife-crisis-scooby
Scooby Regular

Mickyc

Not too far away from Stan Palmers here in Carlisle across the A69, he (Ian Armstrong) can arange a TeK 2 no Problems I would expect.

Midlife...
Old 24 April 2003, 12:00 AM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sean

We were both right

Are you coming to the next East or West Sussex meet ?

Nathan..
Old 24 April 2003, 12:03 AM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

to be honest i have no idea when they meet. I used to attend some caterham meets

i'm based close to brighton

so what u running on ure scoob then ?

Sean
Old 24 April 2003, 12:15 AM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Red face

So not to hijack the thread YHM.

Nathan..
Old 24 April 2003, 12:18 PM
LB4
Scooby Regular

MickyC .. With any remap don't just expect to pay out £500, unless you already have them you should fit uprated intercooler hoses, a boost gauge, a knocklink and different spark plugs.
Old 24 April 2003, 01:05 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

John,

Would I be that "one of your happier customers" ? I'm well pleased with my Tek 2.5 and got 248 BHP and 244 Lb torque at Powerstation, which might appear low, but same spec car with PPP and a few turbo inlet mods made 221 BHP with similiar torque (220 ish) I haven't stopped smiling since fitting my TEK 2.5 last summer (postal from John) to be really honest. The extra torque is fantastic, and I can easily stay with a mod'ed P1

Do yourself a favour and get one

Phill

PS Oh and I'm not on commission either
Old 24 April 2003, 01:15 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Yes Babber was thinking of you towing your caravan with my remap
Old 24 April 2003, 01:24 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Lol, hope your not taking the **** mate I want to do a little travelling around the UK and Europe and thought a caravan would be a good idea I did laugh at a few responses from some of the guys.

Induction kit (57i) has been ordered and should be here tomorrow, along with the knocklink and sensor. Then I need to send my TD05 off to that chap you recommended, although I've lost all his details

Phill